Chapter 9

The day of battle had finally arrived. King Wiwa left for it felling very confident. He could already feel the surge of power coursing through his veins. He recalled that he had not been killed when his enemies made an attempt on his life previously. More than ever, he was certain that he would emerge victorious from this battle and have Eleishiali, and subsequently, the whole of Ikwerre land under his rule. Of course, he would also have to get rid of the king of Apaba to ensure that this dream materialize.

He marched off with his strong men to the outskirts of Eleishiali where the battle was to take place. King Pere and his men were already there. Not more than a minute later, he sounded off the battle cry and the fight began.

He fought with all his might. He shot arrows, thrust spears and shouted out orders. His blood grew hot, power coursing through his veins. He was so sure he would win then. Soon, Wakiri kingdom would be his!

Then he spotted King Pere. He dashed madly towards him, determined to make his dream a reality. It was at that moment he felt a stabbing pain on his back. He lost control of himself and slumped to the ground. He found himself in a red pool. He had been shot without doubt. Where were his men? In his blurry vision, he saw someone approach him but not to help him, he came to realize. As the person raised the spear to give him the deathblow, he immediately regrettably realized his error. He should never have left the most sacred shrine where he would have been protected. There was little time however to dwell on this, for the person had thrust another spear into his heart to make sure his enemy was dead.

King Pere was pleased. When king Wiwa's men realized that they had lost their leader, their morale also evaporated. Some fled for their dear lives while others still bravely fought even though they knew it was a losing battle.

Like every other battle, this fight eventually gave way to a bloody end with King Pere as the victor. He stood out to face his men.

"You see how we so easily defeated the king of Ugbuland? That is the same way we shall do to Apaba! The gods have granted us victory. The gods be praised!" He cried raising up his spear. His men followed and began to sing and dance to songs of victory.

Later, King Pere was joined by one of his chief advisors, Chief Akonte as he watched his men celebrate.

"King Wiwa had really helped us indeed. Not only had he got rid of all his brothers, he had also successfully brought his people under complete subjection and dependence on him, thereby eliminating any possible future contender. His people have no other leader to look up to as Wiwa has no heir neither had they expected any invasion. While you were fighting the battle, I ordered the men to attack Ugbuland. Of course because they were unprepared, our men easily overpowered them. Your Majesty, you finally have Ugbuland!"

King Pere laughed.

"And very soon Apaba as well. You know, I had always had an eye on Apaba. I made my daughter to marry the king so that I could obtain some benefits but she lost interest in the marriage. So I thought, 'Why not invade Apaba and have it to myself?' As you can see, if I could defeat a king as cunning as Wiwa, getting rid of the young naïve boy would not pose much of a problem."

"Your Majesty, if that be the case, not only would you have Wakiri kingdom, Ugbuland and Apaba under your rule but you would also have Eleishiali and the whole of Ikwerre land! Indeed Your Majesty, you are a great king!"

King Pere smiled in satisfaction. A little more time and all would be his.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I wandered idly round the palace. This was a habit I had taken since I took my abode in the palace. When I was not with Obuike or got tired of staying in my room, I took a walk. Thankfully, I had not crossed paths with Wami or Ebiere so far. Wami was probably hiding with the Slave Rebels and Obuike told me Ebiere had left him. According to him, Ebiere had called off the marriage saying he had been unfaithful and had returned angrily to her land. I could not helped feeling thrilled at this news yet I worried for Obuike. One never knows if her father would get so angry with Obuike because of this, he would do something revengefully to get back at Obuike. This was only one of the major issues that made me anxious. The other was the growing number of detained slave rebels. Some slave rebels had even started fighting openly against their masters. Though a good number of the slave rebels who ran from their owners had been discovered and arrested, it was no secret that there were yet more others. Some rebels had even cried out before being taken away that the slave rebellion is very close at hand and that it would bring an utter end to Apaba and their king. It always sent chills down my spine whenever I heard of such things but it was probably worse for Obuike. He always shared his fears with me and I did my best to encourage him. Aunty Nwibari was sometimes around to do this but not always as her services were needed outside the palace. She had been overjoyed when she saw me in the palace. She had been scared that I may had run off to join the Slave Rebels. I explained to her what really happened and she readily agreed with the decision to remain in the palace.

Nevertheless, the palace was no perfect haven. Everyone was a suspect; a potential traitor for one cause or the other...

At that moment in my deep thoughts,I saw Obuike's stepmother. Obuike had showed her to me once. He did not like her and neither did I; she was a busybody. To my greatest amazement, she was heading to my direction. She had never approached me nor talked to me once and to add to my bewilderment, she was smiling at me.

"Good day Ma," I respectfully greeted when she got close enough.

She didn't not answer save for giving me bizarre knowing smile. She came so close to me to whisper into my ear.

"They are coming. They hate him and they would take him away. You betrayed them so they would do the same to you and then....you will dwell with your ancestors...."

With that, she walked away casually still putting on that annoying smirk of her. I understood the message. The Slave Rebellion would happen anytime soon. The slaves would want to kill their enemy, the king. Because I had 'betrayed' them by siding with the king, they would also want to do the same to me. Then I would be in heaven or wherever my ancestors were. Yet I wondered if what she said was a vision or if she were merely stating the obvious to scare me. And if it was really a vision, could it mean a different thing from what I thought? Obuike had told me he suspected her to be a witch. Was it because she could see visions?

Later on, I returned to my room. All my thoughts and worries were taking their toll on me and not long after, I developed a headache. Just a little rest and I would be better, I assured my self as my eyes closed in slumber.

* * * * * * *

One night, a shrill jerked me out of my sleep. I could hear battle cries and more shouts from my room in the onyx night. The realisation suddenly dawned on me- The Slave Rebellion! Had the slaves had finally gained forceful entry into the palace? I hurriedly got out of my bed and raced to Obuike's chambers. I was determined not to let history repeat itself. I would not lose the person I loved once more. I did not give attention to the fires, the fights, the battle cries, the sounds of beating drums or people running away from where I was was headed to. I just headed straight on. What I saw when I got there made my heart skip a beat.
Obuike was sprawled helplessly on the floor.
He was surrounded by four young men- the very ones who had kidnapped me- beating and kicking him. They had once all been palace slaves. Without thinking, I threw myself on him to shield him from the beats and kicks.

" Leave him alone! Please leave him. Do not kill him!" I cried out desperately.

They stopped abruptly obviously out of surprise. My heart pounded in anticipation of what would happen next. At that moment, it seemed sanity had been restored.

"We have to leave him now. Remember Chikweri instructed that we detain him alive until the king of Wakiri arrives in Apaba."

I would know that voice anywhere, it was Wami's! I did not dare to look at him but only kept my face buried on Obuike's frail body.

"Are you sure?" one of the other boys asked, "I thought the instruction was to finish him off?"

"Are you trying to say I am lying? I am your leader and I am telling you what Chikweri told me as the leader!" Wami snapped.

"What about the girl?" another voice asked.

"She is the slave girl to the native healer. She has been well trained, so she will help treat him so that he does not die before the king arrives." Wami immediately riposted.

Oh Wami! I did not know if at that moment I should have thanked him or cursed him for causing Obuike so much pains. I was ordered to get up, help Obuike up and follow them. I struggled with holding Obuike up as I obeyed.
Oh my Obuike! Obuike, whose life had always been in danger ever since he was born and had been shown little love. Once more, I must ensure that he lived. Once more, I was the only one there for him. Once more, I had survived in the midst of danger, at least before the king arrived. I cried silently. My only comfort were the words Aunty Nwibari had told me the last time she visited, "May the God you trust continue to keep you as He had always done."

" But now, this is what the LORD says - he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.2When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." - Isaiah 43:1-2