Diagnosis

November 23, 2005

Dr.Sprouse stood in the curved doorway of the rec room, eyes fixed on Gabriel. He stared at the young man fiercely writing in his black and white composition book. There was an odd feeling of anger starting to fill his face. Dr.Sprouse didn't know what to make of it.

"How is he doing?" a voice said. Dr.Sprouse turned around to see Mary Reese, an elderly nurse, standing behind him.

"No quite sure yet, though his anger problems are quite apparent" he said, tilting his head towards the silent boy. Gabriel was sitting cross legged on the the white laminated floor, leaning over his notebook. He was reading over what he had just written, anger washing over his face. Mary clicked her tongue.

"Well what do you aspect? He's a 15 year old boy! It's called hormones!" She hissed. Dr.Sprouse nodded his head slowly, keeping his eyes locked on Gabriel.

"It's something much more, you couldn't possibly understand" He said calmly.

"I've been a mother longer than you've been alive Richard! and nurse longer than that! Don't you dare tell me I don't understand!" Mary Fumed. Dr.Sprouse turned back to face her.

"I know this already Mary, believe me, but this boy isn't your average teenager. No matter how his outside appearance looks. On the inside he has child mentality, he has no idea where his growth in life should be right now." Mary's eyes widened. Dr.Sprouse leaned against the curved door frame and looked at Mary.

"Have you by any chance heard him talk about his family?" He questioned.

"He told me that his parents admitted him here, but haven't visited him yet." Mary whispered unnecessarily.

"I know you're new to this mental institution staff, but has he told you how long he's been here?" Dr.Sprouse asked.

"We told me since November third." she said.

"Yes. November third. Of two-thousand four. His parents haven't been here since they admitted him. He has heard from them since. No phone calls, no letters, nothing."

"My God! Poor child. Has no one got in contact with his parents?" She asked, sounding worried.

"We've tried. It's as if they dropped off the face of the earth. No records of any of them." Dr.Sprouse said sadly.

"No no no!" both of their heads snapped to Gabriel. He was thrashing around on the floor, tears coming down his face. Mary shuffled over to his side quickly.

"What's wrong dear?" She asked, worried.

"I broke my pencil! I swear I didn't mean to! It's just snapped! I swear it wasn't my fault! I'm trying to be good!" He wailed, some of his words coming out slurred together.

"It's okay honey. It's okay, I know you didn't mean to break it. here" She said, reaching into her white front pocket, pulling out a pencil. "It's okay, no worries." she said, trying to soothe him. Gabriel smiled at Mary.

"Thank you Mary" He said Kindly. Mary smiled back at him, wiping stray tears from his face. She loved him like a son. He could tell on the inside he had no bad intentions, he was simply just a child. Mary patted him on his head full of soft waves and left his side. Once she turned his back to him, she rushed out of the room, tears spilling from her eyes. She pushed past Dr.Sprouse and out of the doorway. 

Dr.Sprouse continued to stare intently at Gabriel, Perplexed by his recent actions and emotions. Gabriel's face was now contoured as he went back to his notebook writing. He looked as if her were in pain. Dr.Sprouse felt a twinge of sadness for the boy, he could see that Gabriel hasn't gotten better, even after his nearly a year in the metal institution. 

Dr.Sprouse would decide to schedule special research on Gabriel. He needed to understand this boy's head more.