Chapter 17- The Boggart

Start from the beginning

“It will distract you, no doubt about that. But I know that you kids will do your best and I know that you will make me proud.” She said with a fierce pride and determination in her voice. “Oh, did I tell you? You’ll be dueling me and the boggart. And you can’t get rid of the boggart first. You have to duel me until I say you can destroy the boggart.”

“Good luck.”

“C’mon Sirius, you can take her!” James yelled about twenty minutes later as they all watched with apprehension as Sirius dueled their professor.

For Sirius, the boggart had transformed into his mother. Harry, Ron, and Hermione recognized her from all of the times they were at Grimmauld Place.

At first she looked around and saw Sirius standing there, frozen in place. Her face twisted into a sneer and she immediately started screaming, “You blood-traitor! You are a disgrace to the name of Black!”

Sirius then jumped into action after staring at his mother with an unreadable expression on his face. His usually warm eyes turned to a glare and they cut around the room, searching for the teacher.

“Mum,” Sirius said with obvious distaste, “Shut up.”

Then he straightened up and threw a stunner into the corner where a cry of protego was called out into the silent room.

Professor Lennings stepped out of the shadows and she said with a hint of pride in her voice, “Good Mr. Black, now come forward and we will start officially.”

Sirius stepped for with the teacher and they both bowed deeply, showing that they respected echother. Sirius’ mum was still screaming about filth, but no one was staring at her in disgust and wonder of how anyone could be so cruel.

And they began.

Back and forth they dueled.

Minutes passed.

Groans could be heard coming from the onlookers.

Cheers also when Sirius would manage to get a spell past the teacher’s impressive defense.

Professor Lenning’s eyes narrowed as the duel wore on and even though her face was void of any emotion, anyone else in her place would’ve been very tired by now and that’s exactly was Harry thought she was feeling.

Sirius on the other hand wasn’t hiding his exhaustion as well as hers.

He was panting like a dog and you could see beads of sweat making their way down his face. His grey eyes were narrowed in determination and his moves were getting sloppier, rather than their sharpness as they had begun in the beginning.

Suddenly Professor Lennings yelled out to Sirius, “Get rid of the boggart!”

Sirius took immediate action.

He turned toward the boggart that had been screaming abuse at the Gryffindor and he shouted in a hate filled voice, “Riddikulus!”

The effect was immediate.

Sirius’ mother was suddenly eveloped into a flurry of clothes and when her body came back into view, there was a roar of laughter coming from the crowd.

Sirius’ mother was wearing a robe that looked suspiciously like it came from Dumbledore’s closet and on her head was a hat that looked rather like the one that Augusta Longbottom wore.

Moments later Sirius was looking pretty proud of himself as he stepped back down and smiled, satisfied with his actions.

“Nice duel Padfoot.” James said to Sirius once he entered the crowd again.