So We Meet Again

Levi's parents asked me to say a few words at his funeral.

"We know it'll be tough, and it's okay if you don't feel up to it but we know Levi would want you to."

Why did they go there. They shouldn't have said that. Now I can't say no.

"Yes, I guess I could but is it okay if I cry? Because I will." That's all

"Of course, sweetheart. And we will be right there with you." More supportive than my own parents. I sit down and start writing:

'Levi was my best friend. We have been through thick and thin' -Oh no. The tears are coming- 'I was with him the night he died. Levi meant so much to me- to all of us, and I know it's hard for everyone right now. It's easier to remember the happy, joyful memories we had with Levi, rather then recollect his last moments.'

That's all I could handle at the moment. My mom walks into my room, and puts her hand on my shoulder. I let my head slump against the desk in defeat.

Soon came the day of Levi's funeral. I wasn't ready for it, but it didn't know that until I got there.

My family and I walked in the doorway of the funeral parlor, and were warmly greeted by Levi's friends and family.

"Good morning Vanessa. How are you doing?"

"Just fine Mrs. Martinez. How are you?"

"Oh just not the same since Levi passed."

"Oh I understand. I was devastated, too."

The greetings went on forever. I met up with Ryder Sanchez, Levi's bet friend.

"So you know, Vanessa," Ryder joked, "now that Levi is gone, I'm like an older brother to you. I'm in charge of protecting you."

I wasn't up for jokes, but surprisingly, a smile came out of my devastated lips.

I smile for the first time in a long time at this because Ryder is one of my best friends, too. He and Levi and I have been together since third grade, when I first moved here.

I remember the day I first met Levi and Ryder.

I moved to California in the summer, right before third grade started. Out new neighbors threw us a housewarming party, and invited everyone in the neighborhood.

Levi and Ryder were neighbors, and lived a couple houses down from me.

I had heard that there were some kids my age, and I was extremely excited to met them. Soon, it was time for the party to start.

The first thing the boys did was pour an ice cold bucket of water right on top if my head. I knew, right then that we were going to be best friends.

*************

We all sat down in rows at the funeral. Levi's parents were first, then long slideshows with accompanying songs. The dread built up inside me. It's claws raked up and down my throat, leaving it parched and soar.

After a while, I start to feel more at ease, like maybe I can do this.

"And now", the current speaker says, " I believe we have one more speaker, a Vanessa."

I take a deep breath, and stand.

THIS CHAPTER IS FINALLY DONE YAY!