Ice Cold and Almost Gone

I don't know who called 911. I don't remember it. I don't remember anything. I passed out long before the sirens of the ambulance pierced the night.

I woke up in a hospital bed, and all I knew was that Levi was gone. Where was he? Marcus killed him. That's all I knew.

Shortly after I woke up, a man in a suit cam in. He introduced himself as Harold Williams. He told me that he was in charge of Levi's case.

"I know you re very upset, ma'am, but I really need you to answer some questions for me. Ok?"

"Look," I muttered, "We were on the boardwalk, and it started to rain. We went inside the coffee shop, so we could stay dry, and then the power went out. Then some psychotic maniac cam in, demanding files from Patty-"

"Who's Patty?"

"The woman that works at Magic Beans," I say dryly.

"Ok," retorted Harold, equally as dry, "please continue."

Gruffly, I add," Then some psychotic maniac cam in demanding files from Patty. Patty gave them to him, and then he knocked her out. Some woman ran for the door, but Marcus, the psychotic maniac, shot her. Then all hell broke loose."

"Any more details, Miss, uhh, Vanessa."

"Yes, I do have more details, Mr. Harold," I frown, "Levi tried to protect me, but Marcus attacked him and shot him. Now can you please leave?"

"Sure, just one more question, though; did you by any chance see what were on those files-"

I'm infuriated now. Tears are pouring down my face, "WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH LEVI BEING MURERED!? JUST GET OUT! GET OUT!"

Mr. Williams can see my, now obvious distress, and backs off. He closes the door, with a silent thank you nod.

I cross my arms, with a scowl written across my face. I can't handle any more questions about anything- especially Levi.

Thankfully, no one else comes in that day, except my dad, who took one look at my tear-streaked face and dark circles under my eyes, and closed the door, nodding.

I saw the whisper of sympathy cross his tired eyes, but I know he didn't really understand.

*************************************

The meals at the hospital were a poor excuse for food: mashed potatoes with bland, watered down gravy, cold broccoli drowning in fake cheese sauce, dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets, and diluted cranberry juice in a plastic cup.

To wrap up this fantastic, gourmet quality meal and wonderful stay at the hospital, the nurses came in the wish me a happy birthday.

My birthday isn't for three months.

I guess they had good intentions... Kind of.

But I got carrot cake. (which definitely was NOT made in the cafeteria here- it tasted too good).

*************************************

Two days later, I could finally leave because the doctors and nurses said I "needed some fresh air" and "can handle the trauma now".

The only thing I needed was Levi. And I definitely COULD NOT handle the trauma yet. I wasn't about to argue, though, because I could finally leave this retched prison-like place.

I can't go on. I cannot live without Levi. I repeated this over and over in my head until it was all I could think of. Levi. Levi. Levi. He's gone. Forever. I can't handle it. I decide that even if Levi isn't alive, I still have to be with him- even if it means I wont be alive either.

I couldn't handle my life like this anymore.

I was going to do it.

5... Can I really do it?

4... Of course you can stop being a baby.

3... But I don't want to die!

2... Do you want to be with Levi, or be miserable here?

1... Okay. Im doing it.

My mom walks in. " Vanessa! What the hell are you doing?!"

She runs over and takes the gun from me. I melt into her arms in a puddle of tears and guilt.

"Vanessa I know how hard this is for you-"

"No mom! No you don't! You have no idea what I'm going through. Stop trying to understand!"

"Vanessa I'm so sorry-"

"Just shut up mom! Shut up! Stop trying!"

She steps back from me, dumbfounded. Then, she embraces me once again.

"I'm sorry. So, so sorry. We can get through it though."

"No mom No I can't. Just leave me alone please"

She steps out of the room, leaving me by myself.

I slump down against the door, convulsing with rage and excruciating pain deep in my heart.

I cry. I cry for hours. Days.

Julia's note: yay finally the third chapter!! Please vote and comment!