Chapter 23

Rene felt overwhelming relief at hearing her cousin's voice. But her nerves were still on edge, causing her to roll up and away from Lawrence, who was beneath her. Without hesitation, Rene had her shield up as she launched herself to her feet, facing the direction, from which they had come.

But no threat appeared. Arianna hadn't been able to follow. Rene lowered her shield as she took in the sight before her. They were in a temple. From the looks of things, she and Lawrence had appeared in mid charge, and rushed down the length of the aisle that led to the altar. At the sides of the aisles, were numerous rows of pews, filled with hundreds of worshippers. All of them were staring at Rene, with silent awe.

That look of awe made Rene feel extremely uncomfortable. She took two steps back and returned her shield to her belt. Over her shoulder, she could see James, standing just behind the altar, in a beautiful set of high priest robes of flowing gold and white. His face showed the twenty plus years it had been since she had seen him. He looked like he had been through a lot.

Rene turned her back to the congregation and offered Lawrence a hand up. His expression revealed a mixture of deep sadness and a hint of that awe, that Rene had seen from the temple full of worshippers behind her. He hesitated a moment, seemingly unsure of whether this was appropriate. Rene knew that they had been through a traumatic event, but she couldn't understand his hesitation. She needed him now, more than she did, when he saved her from the storm. He was the only one, that could even begin to understand.

Her feelings must have been written across her face. A look of recognition crossed Lawrence's face and he grabbed Rene's outstretched hand. It was then, that Rene realized why everybody was looking at her so strangely. She hadn't noticed it, until she looked down at her hand, enclosed in his. She was glowing with a soft golden light.

Her arm, had previously been clad with the sleeve of a simple white tunic. But now, it was clad in a combination of white cloth and golden armor. As she pulled Lawrence to his feet, she looked down at the rest of her new outfit.

It looked similar to the robes that James was wearing, except for the golden metal that protected vital areas. Her shield had changed too. It was now, radiating a light that shimmered like star light. And right in the center, was the symbol of Astra, a star, with twelve points.

Still holding Lawrence's hand, Rene turned to James. Before she could ask what had happened, he addressed her and the congregation. "After enduring the frozen void, she walked arcoss the frozen expanse. Rysor's chosen, took her in and sheltered her from the storm. After the storm, they went together to seek out the wisdom of Astra's Children."

Rene felt a strange energy wrapping around her and Lawrence. It was coming from the people behind them. It was all so surreal. She had to look at Lawrence again, to make sure this was really happening. To her surprise, his appearance had changed too.

His thrown together, barbarian armor had been replaced by a set of frosty white leathers. There were small, icy looking spikes coming out of his shoulder guards. His longsword was the color of the frozen ice pack. His bow had changed in much the same way.

Rysor's chosen? Such a title, implied that Rysor was a god....or at least a demigod. Rene tried not to think of the implications of the fact that her Arianna may have killed a god.

James' voice pulled her back to the moment. "But the Dark Queen had woven her dark magic and destroyed them all. The Maiden and Rysor's Chosen, were captured by her dark spells."

Rene realized that James was giving a sermon to the congregation. But how could he know, what had happened? It had been such a short time ago. And why was her experience with Lawrence, part of that sermon?