Twenty Two||Pasts and Groceries

Start from the beginning

I clear my throat a little. It's surprising to see the substantial level of calm that Jason is maintaining. His eyes are focused on the road, his knuckles almost white from his grasp on the steering wheel.

"If she does let me come back, I would like to." I express.

Jason stays silent for a while. From his face, it looks like he's analyzing the situation. I notice the prominence of his jawline once more and sigh.

"How much weight have you lost since I left?"

"Huh?"

"Your weight. How much has it gone down?" I repeat.

When he doesn't reply, I press, "Jason. I asked you a question."

"Uh, like by six or seven pounds." He admits, squaring his jaw.

"This is exactly why I want to come back." I groan.

"If the roles were reversed, would you have let me?" He gazes at me with soft eyes as the car stops at a red light.

"No." is my reply.

"Exac-"

"But you would have done it anyways." I argue, knowing that it's true. Jason is one of the most protective and determined people I know. Come hell or high water, he will go through it for the people he cares about.

I will too.

"For fuck's sake," he grumbles.

I stare at him in anticipation, because I know he's reaching the point of giving in.

"Fine, but I get to add to the rules." He points a finger at me, as if accusingly.

I throw my arms up in the air, a grin wide on my face. "Yes!"

Im not sure what Im so happy about. If anything, living in Barbara's household is something most people would trade for a year in prison. But knowing that I've got Jason on my side makes me dread the whole ordeal a little less.

Jason seems to think the same thing, because he articulates, "You're probably the only person on earth who'd be happy about living in the same house as mom."

"Well, technically, it won't be the same house."

"Oh no, no, no." Jason shakes his head. "My first term will be that you'll take the second guest room."

I raise my eyebrows. "Why?"

"Lucy, the storage house is for, as the name suggests, storage. On top of that, when it rains I know water gets inside. And we live in Seattle, so it rains a lot."

I exhale, not even wanting to argue.

"Fair enough, Jay. Do me a favor and take my side when I try to convince Barbara to let me come back, alright?"

"I'm always on your side, Lu. You know that."

I reach out and ruffle his hair.

  ♔♚♔ 

After checking out, we load the groceries in and head back.

"Did we really need conditioner?" Jason complains for the umpteenth time.

"I messed your hair up before getting out, Jay. The texture is abhorrent."

He mutters something under his breath for which I lightly slap his shoulder. He pokes his tongue out at me as a response.

"Mature." I utter sarcastically.

"I know." He grins.

  ♔♚♔