Hazel Grace

Hazel's pov
It all started that one night. An autumn gust, blows chilling air throughout the streets of Gotham. Orange, brownish leaves flood each street corner. It was Fall, my favorite time of the year.

My Parents that morning, did their usual routine. Got dressed, made coffee and left for work. My mom was a flight attendant in Gotham international airport and my father was an engineer. We weren't Bruce Wayne rich but, we weren't street corner poor. I had a good life. Went to Gotham academy and got straight A s. That's until my parents left that one morning and never came back. It's crazy how one night of wreck less drinking, can lead to turning someone else's world around. That morning, my parents got hit by a drunk driver.
It was the most tragic thing ever. You see in the news all the time, people being killed in car accidents. You would never think, it could happen to you. Until, it does. From that day on, my life turned upside down.

I was a orphan. Living in the system, was horrible. My face was plastered on a wall filled with hundreds of other kids. Everyone knew that if you weren't from the age 12 and below, most likely you weren't going to get adopted. No one wanted a teenager, it was either a infant, or a little child they felt pity for. When I was in the system, I was 14 years old. I was sick and tired, of moving from home to home. As soon as I turned 15, I escaped and decided to live on the streets. Many kids in Gotham did the same thing. Social services really didn't get involved unless, those kids were getting themselves in trouble. Which for me, was the case. I robbed stores and stole jewelry, which I would later sell for money. It came to the point where I made a name for myself. Everyone knew me for the things I done.

Currently, I was 16 years old. I had long dark brown hair, Hazel eyes and I was about 5'7. Yup, I was named after my eye color. Full name, Hazel Grace Vallentine.

Living on my own, taught me a lot of things

Living on my own, taught me a lot of things. Such as defending myself, and how the only person you can trust, is yourself. I lived in this sketchy, apartment complex. The landlord didn't care what age you were, as long as you paid 400$ every month, you were good. Criminals lived in this building which was pretty scary but, doing this for a year now, I learned how to fight. I used knives and had a gun. I used rubber bullets since they were cheaper and, killing really wasn't my forte. I seen people go down that road and, they don't come back. You take a life, and so does your soul die with the body. So far, I had a 1,000 dollars left in my trustfund. This was bad, I had two more months in the apartment and 20o$ left for food and Necessities. I needed more money. The only person, I knew could help me was TheGodfather. I met the Godfather right when I escaped the orphanage. He owned a huge space in a Abandoned warehouse where, kids like me, would live. I was fortunate enough, to get to live in a heated apartment but for the others, they had to deal with thin mattresses and rat infested floors. He called it the boys and girls club. I guess it wasn't as bad when you don't have anything and the fact, he took care of everyone. But the secret was, the money he used to buy clothes and food, was dirty money. Drug money. I mean, I can't talk since I robbed stores and all. But, all the speeches he gave about staying away from trouble when, he did it himself.

I crossed the street walking to the warehouse. The smell of smoke, brushed against my face. That familiar scent, I smelled everyday for a whole month. It was the boys and girls club.
I took a few more steps and knocked on the metal door.

" I need to talk with The GodFather?" I yelled.

" Who's asking!?" A deep, older voice responded.

" It's me, Hazel" I told him firmly.

He opened the window on the door, then took a long stare at me.

" I ain't the cops" I said, then flashed a smile at him.

He finally, opened the door and let me in.
Walking inside, I took a look at the place. It looked so different. The walls were painted white and there was even, light hanging from the ceiling.

" Miss, this way" he said bringing me into this room.

I sat down in this chair, to a room that seemed to be his office.

" Gracey, never did I think to see you again" the GodFather said sitting across from me.

H-" Hi, wow it's been a long time"

TGF-" So, what are you in need of?"

H-" Well, I don't know how to say this but.....can I borrow some money?" I asked him.

TGF-" Why do you need it?" He asked firmly.

H-"well, you know how I bought a plac-"

TGF-" Wait a minute, I think it's funny how.....you walk in here, hair and makeup done. Asking for some cash. Hazel, I seen your name on the news, your up to no good again"he said angrily.

H-" C'mon, you know how it is. I just need some cash, I'll pay you back?"

TGF-"You know, I would never forget the day you came to me for help. Your hair was messy, black mascara running down your face. Then you left my care. You got all Hollywood" he said smirking at me.

H-" (sigh) fine, sorry I asked" I responded rudely, getting up and walking to the door.

I tried to go through but, one of his guards was blocking the door.

" It was a mistake coming back here. I don't need your help, I can do it on my own!" I turned my head to him.

" Your gonna get yourself killed out there!"  He spat at me.

"Well, at least I die trying" I responded then, walked out the door.

Honestly, I don't need anyone's help. I can do this on my own.I always had and always will.