Chlamash

The past few days had been long, harsh, and depressing.

Since Coriakin explained the task, they had to perform to defeat the green mist, every single member of the Dawn Trader's crew had sunk into the most hideous weariness. And as time went by the fights and discussions among them were becoming more and more common, even when the subject of those disagreements was irrelevant. And now the wind too had deserted them.

Was this voyage a colossal mistake?

After several hours lying in bed, he accepted that that night he wouldn't be able to sleep at all, so he decided to take advantage of his insomnia and do something useful. He stood up, changed his clothes, and up to the deck he went.

As he felt the salty breeze of the outside, King Caspian the X, naively fixed his gaze onto the Narnian banner of the ship, hoping to watch it wave with pride, but he immediately realized that he was mistaken: "the wind's long gone", he thought, and his hopes were about to go as well. Stubborn as he was, he kept his eyes fixed on the banner a little longer, raised a prayer to the skies, and when he finally looked away, something caught his attention.

But it was not "something" he saw, it was "someone," someone standing still, very close to the rail. It was too late for anyone to be awake unless it was a guard, and if it was, he had to scold him for leaving his post..., or maybe he could offer to take his place instead.

He started strolling towards that person, who immobile, was watching to the dark nothingness ahead, and as he approached it, he began to recognize a delicate and feminine figure. She was one of the few creatures on board that still smiled at him with sincerity but, what was she doing all alone so late at night?

"Lucy?" He asked, and as she heard his voice, she gasped.

"Caspian, hi." She answered when she recognized him, and in doing so, she took away her hand from her dagger.

"I'm so sorry, Lu. I didn't mean to startle you." He tried very hard not to laugh at her reaction, so fierce coming from such a small person.

"It's OK," she said, smiling. "I was distracted, and I didn't hear you come near me. You didn't scare me. I just..."

It was like something about him caught her attention all of a sudden. She stopped talking, and instead, she stared at Caspian in a way so intense that made him feel very uncomfortable.

"Is everything OK, Lu?" he asked. "It is a bit late for you to be wandering around the ship. Don't you think?" He was trying very hard to distract himself from that sensation of discomfort Lucy's gaze was burning on him.

"I could say the same thing to you, Your Majesty."

He laughed. That was the joyful tone of hers that had always made him happy. Lucy was the only person on that ship that could make him laugh so easily.

"Don't worry about me, Caspian. I wasn't wandering around, I just couldn't sleep," she said.