Chapter 15

Lena's POV

I lay there in the grass numbly, waiting for the excruciating pain to finally stop. My whole body was trembling uncontrollably and I was scared shitless as my bones shifted and snapped. My body twisted and contorted into positions I didn't think possible, and my vision blurred as I started seeing specks of red.

I could faintly see Andrew sitting by me, but the pain eventually had me squeezing my eyes shut, praying for relief.

"Andrew, it's about to happen," I heard James say. He sounded like he was far away.

I screamed in agony as my back arched off the ground and my arms and legs felt like they were being ripped out of the sockets. And suddenly, the pain stopped all together.

I gasped for breath, and the tension in my muscles disappeared, letting me relax in the soft grass. I breathed heavily, waiting for my head to stop spinning.

"Lena?" I heard Addie say after a while. "You're okay now, open your eyes."

I slowly lifted my eyelids, afraid the pain would suddenly come back. When I opened my eyes, it seemed like everything was in extreme high-def. I could see every crack in every tree and each blade of grass stood out on it's own, and I saw flies and gnats buzzing around that had to be at least a hundred yards away. Colors were so vivid I had to blink a few times to adjust my eyesight.

"Lenny...?"

His voice was so loud and clear in my ears that I let out a cry of surprise, but it came out more like a strangled bark.

WHAT?!

I looked down to see two, huge, grayish paws laying under me on the grass.

I barked again, shocked, as I leaped up from my spot on the grass. I caught a glimpse of something behind me and I instinctively whipped around to attack it, but it was gone. It kept happening again and again until I was dizzy.

"That's your tail, Lena," Addie said, rolling her eyes.

I looked up at her, embarrassed. I realized that I was almost as big as them, me as a wolf and them in their human forms.

I whimpered slightly, not sure what to do. I pulled my ears down, scared of myself.

Andrew gave James and Addie a knowing look and ran into the trees. I heard him pull off his clothes and shift before running back.

His huge brown wolf towered over me, and I backed up a few steps.

'It's okay, Lenny. I'm not going to hurt you.'

I whipped around and shook my head, startled by his words. It sounded like he was inside my head.

'That's because I am,' he said, amused.

I looked at Addie and whimpered, pawing at the ground.

"Is he talking to you?" she asked, smiling.

I nodded my big wolf head clumsily - I wasn't at all comfortable in this body yet.

"It's called a mind link," James explained. "It's how we communicate in wolf form. Our whole pack can use it."

'Pretty cool, huh?' Andy said smugly. 'Try talking to me.'

I sat there reluctantly, but Addie gave me a nod of encouragement. 'Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3. Come in agent Andrew, over.'

Andrew shot me a wolfy grin. 'Only you, Lena... Only you...'

I grinned back, feeling a little safer.

"Wanna go for a run?" he asked, tilting his head toward the woods.