Chapter 6: More Confusing Thoughts

Taylor looked at her clock. It was midnight. Something compelled her to get up and go to her window. She looked into the yard below her window. Karlie was standing there looking up at her. She smiled and beckoned to Taylor before walking round to Taylor's backyard. Taylor walked across her room to the door and quietly went into the hallway. She didn't want to wake her parents.

She crept down the stairs and to the back door. She opened the door gingerly, making sure that it didn't make so much as a creak. She walked into her backyard and saw Karlie standing by the oak tree that stood behind the house. Karlie was silhouetted against the moon, and Taylor was mesmerized by her figure. As she got closer, she saw that Karlie was wearing the dress she'd tried on at the mall earlier that day. Had she bought it? Taylor didn't remember her buying anything, but figured she could be mistaken.

"Taylor." Karlie's voice caressed her ears like the finest silk. Taylor got closer and closer to Karlie, until they were looking directly into each other's eyes. Taylor's ocean blue eyes gazed into Karlie's forest green eyes, and vice versa.

"Karlie." Taylor whispered. Without thinking about what she was doing, she slipped her arms around Karlie's waist. Karlie slipped her arms around Taylor's shoulders. Taylor closed her eyes and felt Karlie's lips press against hers. Everything in the universe felt as though it was exactly as it was meant to be.

Taylor woke with a start. "Just a dream." she thought. Not an unpleasant one exactly, just... unexpected. For a split second she worried about what it could possibly mean. Selena's words from the previous afternoon echoed in her head once more. "Is there something you want to tell me Tay?"

"Shit!" Taylor said out loud. She suddenly realized she'd never replied to Selena's text the night before. She picked up her phone and tapped an apology for not replying, making the excuse that she'd been so exhausted that she'd just fallen asleep. It wasn't entirely untrue. She just wouldn't tell Selena that she'd fallen asleep after getting distracted by a text from Karlie. Selena was already making a few assumptions about Taylor's interest in Karlie – at least it seemed she was – and Taylor saw no use in further fueling those assumptions, especially since they were far from true.

But there was the dream. A dream about kissing Karlie.

"It was probably just because I was thinking about Selena's question a lot last night..." Taylor reasoned to herself. She wasn't entirely sure if her reasoning made sense, but it convinced her enough to be able to push the confusing thoughts to the back of her mind once more.

She followed her usual morning routine: have shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, leave for school. She walked along the sidewalk until she reached Karlie's house. Karlie was waiting for her. The two exchanged greetings and walked to school together. Taylor found it difficult to fully engage with the conversation. She'd managed to push the dream, and the conversation with Selena, and all of the thoughts that had resulted from it to the back of her mind. However the dream had wormed its way back to the forefront of her mind the moment she saw Karlie, and now she felt slightly awkward. Only a few hours earlier she'd been dreaming about kissing this girl, and now they were walking together as though they were just friends. But they were just friends. They'd only met two days earlier. They didn't have time to be anything else. Not that Taylor wanted to be anything else. It was just a dream. It didn't mean anything.

Reassuring herself of this, Taylor managed to force herself back into the moment and actually engage with the conversation.

"Are you okay?" Karlie asked with a concerned tone in her voice. "You're not very talkative today."

"Yeah, I'm fine." Taylor said. "I just... I slept... weird."

"I'm sorry." Karlie said as they finally arrived at school.

They said their goodbyes and went to their first period classes.

A couple of days passed, during which Karlie and Taylor walked to and from school together, and spent English period and lunchtime together. Then came the day of their baking date.

That afternoon, instead of saying goodbye and going into different houses, Karlie accompanied Taylor into the Swift house. Taylor's parents were still home, so the girls went to Taylor's room to hang out and listen to music until they had the house to themselves. They talked about anything and everything they could think of as they listened to Hawthorne Heights, Fall Out Boy, Paramore, and a few other of their favourite bands. Finally Taylor's parents said goodbye to the girls and left.

When they heard the car pull out of the driveway, Karlie turned to Taylor with a grin.

"Let's get baking then." she said.

Taylor smiled at her and led her downstairs to the kitchen.