Chapter 5: Confusing Thoughts

Taylor lay on her bed listening to the CD she'd bought. Karlie was right about Hawthorne Heights being heavier than Fall Out Boy. Taylor liked it though. She stared at the ceiling. Her mind strayed to the strange conversation she'd had with Selena.

Selena had asked her why she kept staring at Karlie. She'd denied it. She wasn't even sure why she'd denied it. The truth was she HAD been staring at Karlie a lot, but she didn't actually know why. Karlie was very pretty, was Taylor jealous of her looks? In awe of them? That must be it.

"Is there something you want to tell me Tay?" Selena's words echoed in her head. What had she meant? Did she think Taylor was keeping something from her? Taylor wondered what it could be. After a moment something dawned on her.

"She doesn't think I'm..." Taylor thought. "But I'm not... I can't be..."

She was snapped back to reality by the sound of her phone buzzing.

She looked at it. It was Karlie.

Karlie: Hey, what do u think of the CD? :) :)

Taylor: I love it! :D

Karlie: Yay! Im so glad :D

Taylor smiled. Karlie always seemed so bubbly and cheerful about everything, and it was contagious. She returned to staring at the ceiling, and allowed the music to carry her away.

She was half asleep when there was a knock on her bedroom door.

"Yeah?" Taylor called out groggily.

"Dinner time." She heard her mother call from the other side of the door. She turned off the music and stood up. She staggered drowsily to the door.

"Is it okay if I have a friend over on Friday?" Taylor asked, about halfway through the meal.

"That's fine." Her mother said. "Were you thinking of inviting Selena?"

"No, there's a new girl, Karlie, she just moved in next door. We just met yesterday but we're sort of friends already." Taylor said. For some reason she found it difficult to make eye contact with her parents while talking about Karlie. But why? She thought about the nervous feelings Karlie had inspired during their first few encounters. Why? She thought about what Selena had said: "Is there something you want to tell me Tay?"

She was fairly certain she knew what Selena meant by 'something', and she was also fairly certain that she didn't have anything of that nature to confess. She pushed it to the back of her mind.

Her parents commended her on her ability to make friends so quickly. She smiled and went back to eating.

After dinner she went back to her bedroom and put the music back on. She checked her phone.

Selena: Im sorry I was so weird @ the mall

Taylor wondered how to respond. While she was thinking, her phone buzzed.

Karlie: Wat r u up 2?

Taylor: Listening 2 the CD :) u?

Karlie: Nothing much. Kinda bored tbh :/

Taylor: Aww, I'm sorry :(

Taylor: I asked my parents about Friday btw :) they said it was cool

Karlie: Awesome :) I'm looking forward to it :)

Taylor: Me too :)

Taylor's eyelids were growing heavy, and she could barely concentrate on the conversation anymore. A drowsy smile spread across her lips as the final track on the album played. It was slow and soft, and was lulling Taylor deeper and deeper into sleep. As she drifted off, she hoped that a new day would see the end of the confusing thoughts that had plagued her that evening.