Chapter Four

What was he doing here? Of all the people to come to Bath, why did it have to be him?

I couldn't let him see me, not when there were so many people about. There could be no guarantee that he would keep silent if he discovered what I was doing. My reputation as Juliet Sinclair would be destroyed if society that I had played as a lady's maid not once but twice. Spinning on my heel, I strode away from the area, trying to steady my beating heart.

Dodging around people as I went, I made my way to the Putney Bridge. It was not too far that returning would take time. After all, Miss Dunbar would happily spend hours in the Pump Room, flirting with every single man who came close. As long as I was in place when she decided to leave, I was would go unnoticed. Or so I thought.

"Miss Nelson!"

I was halfway across the bridge when Mr. Harper's voice reached my ears. Coming to a slow stop, I breathed out and then turned to face him. "Mr. Harper," I said as I made the correct curtsey. He'd followed me? Why did he seek me out now when I wished to be alone? "Are you enjoying the day?"

"Are you well?" he asked, ignoring my question. There was a concerned expression on his face.

"Of course. I am always well."

His left eyebrow went up. "When I saw you go so pale, you see, I imagined you must have seen something—or someone—you were frightened of. And when you were so quick to leave the area, I knew I was correct."

"That is hardly the case." The lie came too readily to my lips. I had been frightened; frightened my deception would be revealed in a spectacularly public manner. My mind searched for some plausible excuse for my behavior. Why had Mr. Harper been watching me right at that moment? "I merely felt pressed in with so many people about and desired some space to breathe."

"So you came this far at what was nearly a run? I don't believe you. You saw someone you'd rather you didn't."

I raised my chin defensively. "That is, of course, your decision and opinion, Mr. Harper. Perhaps your time would have been better spent by observing the other visitors instead of chasing after a lady's maid of no consequence."

As soon as the words left my lips, I could have kicked myself. He would simply—"The visitors book isn't going anywhere," he said, unaware he had finished my thought. "A gentleman doesn't ignore a lady's distress, though, and I was...concerned."

An incredulous laugh bubbled up. "A lady? Me?"

"Well, you were not always a maid," he pointed out. His gaze shifted and he cleared his throat. "Anyone with sense could see that you were in over your head in London, so it was obvious you were new to the position. I mean no offense by my observation, of course."

"I'm sure you don't."

Mr. Harper's jaw tensed as though he were gritting his teeth. He was annoyed with me. Good. "Miss Nelson—"

"I believe I told you I felt the need for some space, Mr. Harper," I interrupted. The longer he spoke with me the more likely it was that we would be noticed. "Please be kind enough to allow me some privacy."

Swinging his gaze back to me, the man stared at me for a moment, an inscrutable expression in his eyes. "When will you decide you can trust me?" he asked softly.

I chose not to answer him. With a sigh, he offered that slight bow he always made whenever he took his leave of me. He took a step back and then turned. Without once looking back, he walked away and then vanished from sight.

With a frustrated groan, I turned to face the side of the bridge. Already I was regretting my sharp, defensive words. Mr. Harper had shown he could be trusted. He'd saved my life once and Mr. Burnham clearly trusted him with sensitive matters. He'd even been my older brother's closest friend!