Chapter 2

"Come on Cabello, are you scared or something?" Kendall and the rest of the popular kids teased the petite twelve year old.

They had all snuck away from their campsite where the rest of their classmates stayed for the overnight field trip. It was initially Kendall's idea to explore the woods, where they then came across the small river with rocks high enough to jump off from and into the water.

"I-I just don't want to go first," Camila's nervous voice stuttered as she looked at the dark water below. It was almost midnight, and the only source of light they had was from Kendall's flip phone.

"Cabello's a little baby," Brad mocked.

"I am not!" Camila narrowed her eyes at the boy.

"I told you guys she couldn't hang out with us. She's too scared to do anything fun," Gigi added. "Cabello's still the little nerd she was in elementary school."

"Camz-" Lauren climbed up the rocks with ease, scaring the group of kids near her best friend, "What are you doing up here? We're supposed to be back in the tents."

"Oh look, Jauregui's here to save the day." Brad nudged his friends, "Camila's hanging out with us. So either you jump the cliff with her or you go beat it."

"Shut up, Brad." Lauren rolled her eyes, "Camila let's go. You don't have to do this- You could get hurt."

"Back off Lauren," The smaller girl's harsh words struck through her like a knife.

The other kids laughed away as Lauren's eyes watered. Without another word, the angry Jauregui walked away from the scene.

She made it back down onto the flat surfaced land, about to walk back to the campsite by herself before a bunch of screaming and running came right towards her.

"Wh-What happened?" Lauren asked as Kendall and all their friends ran by her. Brad was in the back of the group, close enough for her to stop.

"Why is everyone running?" She asked worriedly while holding onto the boys arm tightly. "What happ-"

"Help!" She heard the familiar voice scream from the water.

"C-Camila jumped," Brad said full of fear as he yanked his arm away from the girl to continue running away.

Lauren didn't think twice about it; she ran to the water and started swimming. It had gotten deep but she was just lucky that her mom taught her how to swim, as opposed to Camila who had no clue how to do anything but doggy paddle.

"Camz!" Lauren called out as water splashed on her face. She noticed there were little islands of rocks and that Camila may have landed or hit one of them.

"Lo!" Camila cried out, half drowning. "Lo- Help me!"

Lauren ran towards the sound of her best friends voice. The top of her head was peeking out of the water from time to time, and Lauren knew that her best friend was in serious trouble.

"My leg," Camila cried again as Lauren wrapped an arm around her. "I thi-think my leg's broken. I jumped-I-I'm so sorry." She clung onto her best friend tightly.

"It'll be okay, Camz." Lauren swam towards the shore, "I got you."

Teachers had called the ambulance thanks to Brad and his friends, who were worried that Camila was dead. They had confessed to almost everything in hopes to not get suspended, but they twisted the story and said that it was Camila's idea to bring them all up to the rocks to jump.