Chapter One

Author's Notes:

Hi, this is the First Chapter of  

       .....................BEGINNINGS: Where A Life Begins....................... 

                               "Tales of Survival and Revenge" 

                                 copyright 2013 Gary Heilbronn

                                          All rights reserved

                 I'd love to hear what you think about this book!!

                ***********************************************************

If you are interested, I've now SERIALIZED.... BEGINNINGS ... into SIX stand-alone instalments 

I. GENESIS and RESURRECTION (download for FREE on www.lelivro.com)

II. COMING of the PHOENICIANS

III. LIFE and LOSS 

IV. TIMES of TROUBLE 

V. DISSENT and DELIVRANCE 

VI. The RECKONING 

And they are all available for download on

AMAZON (for Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Gary%20Heilbronn) 

and LeLivroBeta  ( for Ipad and other e_readers  at http://www.lelivro.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Gary+Heilbronn)

        ***********************************************************

 PART 1.......................................ESCAPE FROM SAN SEBASTIAN 

                                   San Sebastian, north coast of Spain, May 1939

Map of Basque Country around San Sebastian (omitted from Wattpad version)

                                                        **************************

                                                                          ONE 

 It's dim and cramped in the womb. But it feels safe. Unborn but awake, she senses a growing tension in her mother's limbs and feels the cold edge of fear as it creeps into the young woman's pounding heart. It's unpleasant yet somehow familiar. For a moment, she focuses on holding back her mother's mounting fear as it threatens to invade her own tiny heart. The fear recedes. Then she slows down her heartbeat to match the cushioned shock of her mother's regular footfall. The movement is comforting. A sense of calm returns. 

The very pregnant young mother makes her way steadily along Calle San Juan. She's carrying a small child and a suitcase, and heading in the direction of San Sebastian's downtown bus terminal. It's in a temporary location, half hidden amongst the less salubrious and somewhat dilapidated buildings that populated the west bank of the Urumea River at the end of the 1930s. Dismal places are an all too common choice for bus stations. It's the same the world over. Not just in small Spanish towns in the far reaches of a country ravaged by three years of a vicious and unforgiving civil war. 

But few thoughts of the bus station's dingy location enter the young woman's mind. Right now she feels like a fugitive on the run; and not for the first time. Yet she's strangely pre-occupied by the past.