Beyond Flames

Loudly chattering about what they were going to order, they entered the Mexican food restaurant. They didn’t have the takeout number yet, and the wifi wasn’t working in the apartment, so they had to go all the way to the restaurant to order and pick it up. It was no big deal, though, back in Nevada they never let the food be brought. Also, the restaurant was about two streets away from their apartment, and a little walking never hurt nobody.

At the restaurant was when the drama started. Sarah was whining really hard for us to pick someplace else because, and I quote: “Mexican food is so disgusting, you get gas and everything. No wonder every Mexican I’ve ever met smelled bad.” I can assure you that that is not a smart thing to yell in a Mexican restaurant filled with Mexican people and the occasional New Yorker, who was just as disgusted by her as the others.

Thankfully, when karma came around and bit Sarah in the ass, we were not kicked out as well. We were still allowed to order, as long as it was not for the “stupid bitch” we had outside. So when we walked out of the restaurant, our arms filled with food in paper white bags, there was not a thing for Sarah amongst it. She had been mean, so she had to pay the price, was our line of thought. We did not, unfortunately, calculate the fact that Sarah was already pissed off, and that instead of just getting what she wanted on her own in some random Chinese restaurant, she threw a fit like a spoiled little baby. The uncaring, silent Sarah from back home was clearly not with us here, as Sarah literally yelled at us like a spoiled child would to her parents when they cut off her pocket money. “You guys are the worst friends ever!” She spat, and then stormed off into the crowd that had gathered around her. Apparantly, a hot, purple haired girl throwing a fit over food she didn’t even want was something New York wasn’t too used to.

“Is she pregnant or something?” Seden asked, her eyebrows raised. “Because that girl has more mood swings than my pregnant aunt, which is a lot.”

Emeka and I just shrugged. Who knows what possessed Sarah to act this way, it could just be a fase, right? As long as it didn’t affect the band they would be okay. Quickly changing subjects to avoid talking about Sarah too much, he asked something that had been on his mind last night before he fell asleep. “Hey guys, where are we going to practice, though?”

“Well, I’ve been thinking, you know how I now work at that handicapped children music thing? Maybe we could like, use one of their soundproof rooms. We could pay them, of course, but it seems perfect.” Seden said.

“Yeah, we could try.” was my lame response. At that very moment, my stomach began rumbling loudly. “C’mon guys, lets get home. I’m dying over here.” As fast as we could with three paper bags of takeout, we hobbled across the road, almost got hit by a taxi driver and a cyclist, flipped them both off, and eventually reached our apartment. Almost getting hit by cars or other imbeciels turned out to be something happening on a daily basis in New York. On the first day, Sarah had almost been run over by a girl with killer heels and a fashionable hat on a bicycle, who had the balls to yell at Sarah, as if it were her fault the cyclist was on the sidewalk. Sarah had just ignored it, though, but Seden was in fight modus immediately. Before our leave to New York, Seden had taken some, okay a lot, self defence classes, crowning her our protector. She turned out to be pretty good at it too, because when her purse got ripped out of her hand on the third day of their arrival, she had sprinted after him on her stilettos, kicked him in the back and stole her purse back. Then she had crouched down, looked him in the eye with a threatening look, and promised to kill him if he touched her Gucci purse one more time. The guy had looked genuinely scared, so he nodded and when he finally mustered up the courage to scramble up, he had ran away as if the devil were on his heels. Seden had been acting smug about it for the rest of the day, which resulted in Emeka whacking her on the head. After that, she was quiet.