In the same moment, regret filled his mind. What was he thinking? He should be glad she was avoiding him. He didn't want a woman. He had a woman once.. Vance was a fool if he thought Grace would be any different than his former wife. He scrubbed his hand across his face and pinched the bridge of his nose as he remembered his wife and ... Never mind. Just never mind. Taking his hat off and running his fingers viciously through his hair, he replaced his hat and matched over to Grace.

She looked up, shading her eyes from the afternoon sun. "Something wrong?"

"I'm done for the day. Gonna go to the crick for a while." He said. Irritation colored his words and made his movement jerky.

"Well sure." Grace said. She didn't understand what was bothering Vance but she knew better than to ask. Vance was not in favorable mood and Grace was not going to rock the boat. "I'm gonna keep working a while longer."

"Do whatever you want." Vance grumbled as he stalked off toward the house.
The door slammed open and Mary Anne looked up on surprise. "Why Vance Pants! What are you doing here so soon? Supper isn't for a couple hours."

"Not here for supper and don't hold it for me either." Vance mumbled attempting to remain respectful toward his mama. His mind ached. His heart burned. It was a physical pain that nearly made him groan. His wife. His son. A tear trickled down his cheek as he fumbled through the cabinets, brushing rapidly at his face he cursed his inability to block his feelings. His hand landed on a bottle of whiskey.

He pulled it out and read the label. Glancing over his shoulder, he tucked the bottle under his arm and left the house. His mind craved the numbness alcohol brought. It has been years since he had had a drop of liquor, Vance determined that he was long overdue.
Vance went to the creek and uncapped the whiskey.

---
Grace frowned into the darkness. Mary Anne had gone to sleep long ago but for some odd reason sleep evaded Grace. She kept thinking about Vance. He hadn't shown up for supper and he had seemed so distraught before he headed for the crick. Grace worried that something has happened to him. It was strange, earlier he'd been teasing her and grinning and all of the sudden he seemed so moody and upset.

A new determination filled Grace as she stood and wrapped her shawl around shoulders and went outside. The air was warm, though the breeze caused her to shiver. Turning toward the creek, she held the lantern high and marched to the water.

"Vance?" She called as she neared the river.

"Mmm." Grace heard a groan coming from the base of a tree. She hurried over and held the lantern up to see Vance leaning against the tree, an empty whiskey bottle on his lap. His hair was tousled and hung in his face. "Grace." Vance murmured as he tipped his head back and gazed up at the woman with the lantern.

"Vance!" Grace dropped to her knees beside him. "Whatever is the matter? Did you drink all of this?" She asked taking the bottle from his lap.

"I'm a bad man, Gracie. You need ta stay away from me. Far away."

"Vance! Vance stop talking nonsense-"

"It ain't nonsense!" He shouted shoving her hand from his shoulder. Then seemingly regretful for his loudness he clasped her hand and held it to his lips before kissing the back of it.

"Come one now." Grace said pulling her hand from his. "We need to get you back to the house- "

"You've wondered about her, haven't you Gracie?"