Part 21

Chapter 21

Peirce grabbed the bag of food he had prepared and settled it into the bag on Dread.  Glancing behind him, he smiled at Cassie.  “Thank you for allowing me to use your horses.”

She shook her head at him.  “It is the least I can do.  Peirce,” she said with a sigh, “I wish for you to take this with you.”

In her hands was another small bag, but as she shifted it closer to him, he knew that there was something important in it.  “What is it?”

“A smaller version of my medicine bag, there are the things that you may need the most.  If you do not recognize any of the items, tell Ramsey.  My cousin knows almost as much as I.”

Letting out a chuckle, he made sure that it wouldn’t be near the food before placing it in his large pack.  As he turned back towards her, he sent her a joking smile. “You have been training others than me?”

“Of course,” she said with a smile.  “If anything were to happen to me, I would want to even my chances of one of you passing on what I have learned.”

“Nothing will happen to you,” he told her, while turning his back on her once more.  Adjusting the straps on his saddle, he began to think about the time he would be gone.  “We may not arrive home in time.”

Her hand touched his shoulder.  “I know, Peirce, but you need this for yourself.  You do not need to worry much.  My father will be visiting.”

“You mean your father will be bringing all his people, to make sure you are safe.”

Her hand dropped from his back as she let out a sigh.  “Yes.  Tell me, how will I survive with all those men trying to keep me in the manor?”

Turning back to her, he reached out and pulled her into a hug.  Her stomach made the hug a loose one, but it was what he needed.  “I have a feeling you will talk them into allowing you to leave.”  His arms unwrapped from around her.  “Now, go tell your cousins farewell.”

“Fine,” she mumbled with a smile.  She walked away from him, and he knew that he would do whatever it took to be here when she had her child.  Even if all he could do was sit in another room, he would be here for her.

“How long will you be gone?”

Peirce turned towards his friend.  “I am not sure, but I shall be back before your son comes along.”

“Daughter,” Colin said with a smile.  “I want a daughter.”  The smile dropped from his face.  “Her father will be here, and I cannot say whether that will be a blessing.”

“He can help you with her,” Peirce supplied while watching Cassie hug Rose and Ramsey goodbye. 

Colin shifted on his feet, looking at Cassie also.  “He can, but he has given us his help once before, and if I may say so, I wish he would not have.”

“His meddling allowed the two of you to meet.”

“His meddling almost caused me to lose the thing I love most.”

Peirce turned towards him, ready to say something when a person caught his eye.  Cooper ran towards them, a blank expression on his face.  The lad stopped next to Colin, who immediately dropped his hand towards the child.  Cooper grabbed Colin’s hand, clutching it in both hands as if it would save him from the horrors of the world. 

Bending down to his level, Peirce smiled.  “I shall be back.”   The boy stared at him with Cassie’s eyes.  They were the same. Kneeling there, he could see everything the child was thinking flash in his eyes.  “While I am gone,” Peirce started before reaching into his pocket and pulling out an object, “I want you to hold this for me.  Keep it, and when I return, you shall return it to me. Can you do that for me, keep it safe?”

Cooper nodded his head, a small smile forming over his face as released Colin’s hand with one of his own.   Reaching out, he clutched the pocket watch.  Peirce watched protectiveness flash in the boy’s eyes as he clutched it to his chest.  Not being able to hold back any longer, Peirce reached out and pulled the lad into his arms.  “I love you, Cooper.”

“Love you, Peirce,” the boy whispered, making Peirce hold him tighter.  When the boy began to wiggle in his arms, he finally let go of him.

Rising to his feet, he stumbled forward as someone smacked him on the back.  “Must you leave?”

Peirce turned towards Will with narrowed eyes.  “Yes, I must.”

“What will we eat?” the Prince mumbled, looking towards Dread as if the horse would be his last meal. 

Peirce stepped between Will and the horse, afraid of what the man would do.  “Cassie’s father, and I am guessing your father, shall be here soon.  Along with them, a cook, I am sure.”

“There had better be a cook,” Will said, his eyes narrowing at Peirce as if it were his fault.

Colin pushed Will’s shoulder while shaking his head at the man. “We can survive without Peirce for quite a while.  Cassie can make toast, and I have learned how to cook eggs.”

Horror settled onto Will’s face, before he looked towards the manor with a smile.  “Look who is coming; it is Ms. Emily.”

Peirce glanced towards the manor and froze.  Emily was walking towards them.  That was not what made him freeze though, what did was what was in her arms.  “Is that a bag?”

Will let out a laugh.  “Yes.  It seems that Ms. Emily has some plans of her own.”