Part 9

Chapter 9

Rose left the kitchen without a backwards glance.  She would not let him see how much the scene she had walked into and left bothered her.  There was something about Emily that set her on edge.  Could it be the fact that the woman touched Peirce more often than was necessary?  Or could it be the fact that she now knew who the graceful woman was?  How would Rose be able to compete with a woman who was exactly like Peirce’s wife? 

Pushing the manor door open, she kept walking until she entered the stable.  Whom was she kidding?  She did not need to compete.  The look on Peirce’s face when she walked in let her know how everything would settle.  Emily would slowly entangle herself into his life, giving him slight reminders of the past he loved so much, then it would happen.  Peirce would realize that he could have exactly what he longed for, a woman just like his wife.

She let out a frustrated noise and smacked the nearby boards, which stayed still.  She looked at her hand.  A small red mark had started to form, and Rose knew that there would be a mark there for quite some time.  As she stared at it, she felt her anger flow away and amusement take over.  Shaking her head, she laughed at herself.  She did not get jealous over other women, and she did not give up when she wanted something.

Someone pulled on her hand.  Her eyes rose to connect with Peirce’s.  “You should not have done that,” Peirce mumbled.

She shrugged. “At times, I do not think before I act.”

Raising her hand, he flipped it as if he were inspecting the small mark.  A wicked smile crossed his face as he leaned closer.  Softly, his lips brushed her palm, sending her pulse racing.  Pulling her hand closer, he pressed a kiss to the mark before freeing her.  “All better.”

“Yes,” she whispered before clearing her throat.  “All better.”

“Rose,” he began with a sigh.  “She is my sister-in-law.”

“Was,” she reminded.  “She was your sister-in-law.  I believe that once you are no longer married to your sister, she loses the title.”

He hesitated before giving a slight nod.  “You do not understand though.  When I was with Elizabeth, me and Emily were close.”

Rose narrowed her eyes, but did not let jealousy rear its ugly head.  “How close?”

The confused expression on his face eased all her worries, but soon, that confusion was overtaken by understanding.  Laughter echoed through the stables.  “You thought that I would dally with my wife’s sister?  Rose, you should know me better than that.  If it took me this long to allow another woman to kiss me, do you think that I would betray Elizabeth by doing so when she were alive?”

Rose shook her head.  “No, but do not blame me for jumping to such conclusions.  Emily does seem quite taken with you.”

“Emily?” Peirce asked with another round of laughter.  “Emily is just a woman who touches everyone.  She does not understand that some do not like such things.”

Rose gritted her teeth as he laughed in her face.  She told him her concerns and he laughed at her.  “You have seen Cassie among others?” Peirce nodded, but by his expression, Rose knew that he had no idea where she was going with the current conversation.  “She touches people when she talks,” Rose continued, “but she does not get quite as close as Emily does.  She is here for another reason besides a small visit.  I do not know what that reason is, but there is one.”

“Are you truly concerned about Emily?” Peirce asked. 

Rose shrugged.  “I am not concerned that you will fall in love with her,” Rose admitted.  “I worry that you will use her as a substitute for your dead wife.”