Prologue

The grass was vibrantly green all year long here. I reveled in the way it felt, poking between my bare toes. The sun had just finished setting in the Spring Court, which meant the night was just getting started back at the Night Court. My heart longed for Velaris. For home.

I was perched atop a grassy hill to the left of Tamlin's estate. Luckily I had managed to avoid the many sentinels and servants that Tamlin had ordered to constantly suffocate my every move. But, with Calanmai nearing so soon.. everyone had their minds elsewhere. I was able to wander out past the gardens to the rolling hills in which I intended to watch the day transform into night. The darkness and shadows enveloped my new Fae body like a blanket. And when I stood to return to the house (no doubt someone had noticed my absence by now) I felt lighter. As if the moonlight had stripped away my homesickness.

Feeling content, I turned back in the direction of the estate. I had made it but two steps when I detected movement amongst the trees of the northern forest. Trusting my High Fae instincts, I quickly pivoted and then froze.

Staring directly at me from the edge of trees, was Rhysand.

I was instantly running, no, sprinting towards him at full speed. A bubbling laugh erupted from my chest as my legs practically threw me through the tall grass.

Rhys had come to take me back. He was here. So close. All I had to do was cross this field to be in his arms. So I ran faster. Rhys stayed in the tree line as a soft smile spread across his beautiful features. A smile I could never tire from.

I gasped for air as I ran. I should have crossed the field by now. I should have already thrown myself onto his chest. He should have already winnowed us home.

I slowed to a walk to look down at my legs as if to see weights tied to them. That could be the only explanation to why my speed was failing me. I hadn't thought 2 weeks without training would deem me so out of shape. Tomorrow I would have to make Cassian double my training curriculum to make up for lost time. My heart warmed at the thought of seeing my friends again, and my sisters.

I launched into a run again. I ran so fast the wind sounded like a woman screaming in my ears. She was telling me to run faster. I ran and I ran till my feet didn't know how to stop and my eyes did not remember what it was like to not water. And though I ran, I did not come any closer to my mate.

My legs gave out and I crumpled to the ground with a cry. As I looked to where Rhys stood I realized that I had not moved an inch. I remained in the same exact place where I had started. I peered up at Rhys from the grass and I could have sworn that his smile grew even wider.

Standing on wobbly legs I tried to run to him again, but to no avail. I tried again, and again until my whole body ached and I could not move. Soon I was crawling, dragging my nails through the dirt just to reach him. To leave this wretched Court behind. To go home to my terrified and angry sisters. To go home to my friends, my mate. One measly field was all that stood in the way between me and my happiness.

Somehow I had managed to stand again. Mustering the last of my strength I broke into one final canter.

To my disbelief I had finally started pushing past distance with my body. I stared down at my feet and thanked the Cauldron. Snapping my eyes forward I watched as Rhysand took a step out of the shadows opening his arms to me. I was so close. I watched as his face lifted to the moonlight and contorted into something that was not his face at all, but Tamlin's.

Horrified, I stopped dead in my tracks. Tamlin slowly lowered his face from the sky and rolled his shoulders. In one swift movement his hands had dropped to his sides and his claws had snapped out of his knuckles. A wave of fear rolled through me as I back pedaled.

Tamlin took a step forward and snarled "Feyre.. Why do you look so scared? What are you hiding from me? I only want to protect you."

I fell back on my hands and shielded my face before Tamlin pounced. His claws slicing my skin as I thrashed screaming.

"Stop moving I just want to protect you Feyre!" He bellowed as he tore me limb from limb.

**
I jolted awake, sweat clinging to my skin as I let out one final cry.

A nightmare. It was just a nightmare. This was the first one I'd had in a very long time. Sleeping besides Rhys had seemed to stifle the night terrors. But I knew this dream had been sprung due to the distance between me and my mate. I also knew it was because Tamlin now slept beside me.

It was the first night he had stayed in my room since my return to the Spring Court. Since it was getting harder and harder to ward off his physical advances without looking suspicious, I had allowed him to sleep in the same bed with me tonight. Though I regretted it immediately.

With Calanmai next week, he was becoming restless at the lack of a physical relationship between us. I too was becoming restless but for other reasons. Separation from Rhys being the main contributor, and stress from endless hounding of both Tamlin and Lucien.

I tried to think of more excuses to feed the two men as I fell back into sleep.. On the very edge of the bed.