Chapter 3

I was so nervous as we walked in the sand and I called Sergi to know where they were. I hate talking through the phone. I’m horrible at it. “Hello.” He answers. The butterflies in my stomach go crazy as I try to answer his greeting: “Hi. We’re already here. Are you guys on your way or…” “No, no. We’re here. We found a pretty big spot between three palm trees. It’s right beside the apartment building. Where are you guys?”

I started to explain where we were standing and signaled everyone to stop moving until I saw Sergi. I finally did and waved at him. He waved us toward him to signal their spot. He walked toward me and I walked behind everyone else. Carlota stayed behind and nudged my shoulder. I nodded smiling at her and then she ran to keep up with the rest. He waited until I reached him and we smiled at each other. “Hi.” “Hi.” I answered shyly, looking down.

I pressed my cheek against his which is the greeting I’m used to but he turned his head to plant a real kiss on my own cheek. I separated from him and smiled giddily. He led me to their little camp and he introduced everyone. There were only two additions to last time’s group: Javier Espinosa and Sergi Gómez. He didn’t have to introduce me or Carlota to them because we knew their names but for everyone else’s sake…Everyone sat around and started talking merrily.

I was watching Carlota as she sat down to the left of Sergi Gómez; to his right was Miguel Bañuz. They basically ended up making their own little group of three, probably basking in their love for FC Barcelona. She casually flirted with Miguel over Gómez who I guessed wouldn’t take too long to notice. I looked around because I was too nervous to face Sergi. We were still standing around and so were Espinosa, Denis, Janina and Tomâs, who were talking amongst themselves in a separated group.

Sergi interrupted my thoughts with: “Would you like to sit? I brought…” He leaned down to his sports bag and pulled out a blanket. “Sure.” I said as I helped him lay it down and we sat looking at the shore some inches away from each other. I put my bag beside me and took off my sunglasses. I’ve never liked them and right now, I want to see him as clearly as possible. “I was wondering…what kind of music do you listen to?” I asked him. This was an all-important question for me as he seemed to consider his answer.

He started mentioning some bands I knew and liked but others that were new to me. He stood up to look for his iPod in his bag. As he came back, he sat a little closer to me. He tried to show me his iPod and I pretended like I couldn’t see it very well and leaned closer until y was touching his arm. I smiled as he played a song through the iPod speakers and I liked the rhythm. I bopped my head to it and closed my eyes for a few seconds. “You like it?” “Yeah! It sounds like a mix between pop and alternative. It’s good.” He crossed over to my side and laid the iPod down beside my leg on the blanket.

He scooted closer, until our legs were touching and leaned back. I took that as a sign and felt a little daring so I leaned my head on his shoulder, his arm right behind my body. I took it all in at that moment, listening to that music that he liked…Everything was so perfect. I couldn’t ask for more. After some three songs I felt him nudge me and I realized I’d been dozing off. “Am I really that boring?” He asked as I sat up and crossed my legs. “Oh my God, no. I’m so sorry. I just get up really early in the morning every day and I guess…” I apologized and suddenly realized I was touching his thigh with the palm of my hand because he interrupted me by putting his hand over mine.

My head shot up to look at him and he smiled. I still couldn’t find it in me to smile back because of the shock. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have…” he said as he removed his hand from mine. “No, no. It’s fine. I just…” I didn’t know how to explain myself. I like you so so much and I can’t believe this is happening to me? That sound ok? “I’m really nervous.” “Why?” I don’t know what his facial expression was because I was looking down. “Because…I’m not used to this.”

“It’s ok. Me neither.” I smiled, still not daring to look at his face. But I did take his hand at that moment. “We’ll work on it.” I said and he stroked my hand with his thumb. I finally looked up at him and we smiled wide at each other. I could swear I saw a glint in his eye as he stood up and took his shirt off. “Come on. Let’s go for a swim.” I stood up and took off my shorts and then my shirt. I felt like he was watching my every move, every inch of my nearly naked body in minute detail as I put my clothes in my bag. He offered me his hand and I took it. He pulled me toward shore and I didn’t take my eyes off him, smiling all the time. He let go of my hand and ran the rest of the way as he dipped into the water head-first. I bit my lip as I started walking into the water.

When it was up to my hips, I felt like I couldn’t go any further. He crashed the surface a ways away from me and I screamed: “It’s really cold!” “That’s because you’re used to tropical weather. Just jump in.” He screamed back. I shook my head and crossed my arms over my body. He disappeared from view, dipping into the water once again. A few seconds later, he was standing in front of me, the water up to his mid-thigh approximately because he’s quite taller than me. 

Before I could react, he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me into the water with him. I wrapped my arms around his neck automatically and pressed my body against him. After a few seconds, we came back up and I was still holding on to him for dear life. “See? It’s not so bad.” He said as he started moving around the water with me in his arms.

“It’s freezing.” I said as I clutched to him. “But see, you can’t be this tense. Relax.” He let go of my body and separated it from him, shaking my arms. I laughed as he shook my arms playfully to raise my body temperature. “Better?” “Better.” I smiled as I saw Janina and Sergi Gómez joining us. I remembered that he had been the one sitting between Carlota and Bañuz. This time my lens hadn’t failed me so I looked over to our camp and saw Carlota alone with Miguel as the rest of the group went to the beachside bar. I smiled to myself and let her be as the four of us got together and talked.