NINE

"Always feeling tired, smiling when required. Write another year off and kindly resign."

***

    OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, things had changed, drastically

OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, things had changed, drastically. Draco had officially asked Alice to be his girl, all the while they had come up with different plans to complete one of the tasks, killing Dumbledore.

It was a cold Saturday in December and Draco and Alice had decided to go to Hogsmeade to attempt part of their plan.

They would give Katie Bell an enchanted necklace from the Room of Requirement that would instantly kill the person who touched it.

With this logic, Draco had planned to charm her and make her bring it to Dumbledore so at least one task was fulfilled.

Shaking from both the cold and nerves, Draco instinctively reached for Alice's hand, allowing her to rub her thumb over the back of his hand. Something that comforted Draco to an extent.

This visit to Hogsmeade was nothing like the last two visits that had occurred.

The first visit, being Draco and Alice's officially first date, Draco bought Alice anything she wanted, not like she didn't have the money for it, but he wanted to show his gratitude through presents.

The second, and recent visit to Hogsmeade was discreetly made. Draco had decided to go alone and wander around the few shops to pick up a Christmas present for Alice, leaving with few items.

And now the third visit would possibly result in a death, something neither of the two were fond of.

Walking into the dim Three Broomsticks, Draco led Alice through the crowd of students and into a backroom.

They ran through the plan again, Alice would plant the necklace in the girls toilets and Draco would charm Katie as Alice dragged her to the restroom.

With a quick kiss, the two separated. Alice quickly found Katie before bringing her into the bathroom and showing her what she found.

"Go on, take it, you know where." Because Draco had charmed the girl, she began leaving the toilets and heading to the desired destination.

Draco gave Alice a tight hug as she reemerged from the stalls, bringing her over to an empty booth in the corner.

"What would ya' like, dears?" A waitress asked as Draco ordered two Butterbeer's.

When the drinks arrived their was a silence between the two who were drinking, they noticed the area had quieted down and they were really the only two students remaining.

Draco placed some money on the table when they were finished, walking out the door and back to Hogwarts.

"It'll be alright," Draco reassured her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "It'll be alright."

-

By the time Draco and Alice had arrived back at the Great Hall, it was dinner. Taking their usual seats across from Holland and Blaise, the couple began piling food on their plates.

"And where have you two been?" Holland asked the brunette and blonde headed couple.

Alice swallowed her drink, "We were at the Three Broomsticks, didn't we tell you?"

Holland shook her head, Alice shrugged.

"Where's Cara?" Alice asked, changing the subject.

Blaise and Holland laughed, leaning in to tell Draco and Alice. "She's snogging Goyle, in the common room. Told everyone to stay away at dinner."

Alice's eyebrows raised, Cara had been known to kiss a few guys and move on, but Goyle?

"Did he slip her a love potion?" Draco mused as Alice lightly slapped his arm.

"I'm just as shocked as you are, but leave her be."

Alice almost didn't want to finish eating her food, thinking about Cara and Goyle, but she grudgingly swallowed the food down anyways.

She felt someone watching her and as she turned towards the Gryffindor table and saw the familiar eyeglass covered face, she smiled, sending him a wave. He waved to her before turning back to his friends, not in a happy manner, a manner as if he realized he'd been caught.

Draco noticed the interaction, rolling his eyes. "Saying 'ello to your boyfriend, Potter, are we love?"

Alice scoffed, "Whatever you wanna think, lover boy."

Draco felt Potter staring at the two so he quickly leaned in, holding Alice's neck, and kissed her. She laughed into his mouth as he gave her another chaste kiss, smirking when he noticed Harry had turned away.

Alice continued to eat her meal, thinking over all that had occurred in such a short amount of time.

She realized that she still hadn't owled her mother about only going to the Malfoy's for Christmas and no longer. Draco thought it would be a good idea to work on the vanishing cabinet without having to sneak around students, since so little stayed over Christmas break. She would have to send it in the morning.

Deciding to head to the dorms to finish homework, Alice got up muttering a 'good night' to those beside her.

Draco followed after her, "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to go work on homework and then sleep, care to join?"

Shaking his head he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, "Already finished, I'm going to go with Blaise to get a book from the library anyways."

Alice nodded bidding him goodbye, while Draco turned and began walking back into the Great Hall.

Little did either know that Alice wasn't going to sleep or do homework, she would be in the library reading up on Parseltongue as she always did in secret.

And Draco wouldn't be with Blaise, he would be in the boys toilets, crying.