Chapter One - Maysilee

Chapter One

Maysilee

"I'll be fine, Mother." I say walking out the door, bag in hand. "Don't talk to strangers." Mother says sternly and I roll my eyes, slamming the door behind me. "Bye May-may!" My younger sister Elizabeth calls from the branches of a nearby apple tree. I smile and wave at the angelic blonde haired girl before turning out onto the empty dirt road leading into the city of Belpess.

Belpess, the only city known to have real vampires. They say that the blood of a vampire can cure any illness or even grant immortality. That's why I'm going to Belpess, to get vampire blood. I need it to cure Elizabeth of a rare disease that makes her see things that aren't there. Maybe if I can make the right potion, I can cure my sister.

"Hello Maysilee, cast any good spells lately?" I gasp and slap my hand over the mouth the boy who materialized silently beside me. "Lucas! Are you trying to get me executed?!" The boy with messy brown hair and gleaming gold eyes winks at me. "Calm down May no one is going to hear." Luc is my bestfriend. He's the only one that knows me, really knows me. No one else knows I'm a witch.

"So," Luc says casually putting his arm around my shoulders. "We're off to hunt down the dark creatures of the night are we?" I laugh, shoving him away playfully. "Why when I could just take your blood instead?"

Luc's golden eyes harden and he goes silent. I frown. "What did I do?" He just gives me one of his famous 'leave me alone' looks. I sigh and we continue walking to Belpess in silence.

It's not until we're just reaching the city gates that Luc speaks again. "Maysilee, what would you do if I was a vampire?" I blink stupidly at him for a few moments before collapsing in a fit of laughter. "It's not funny." Luc says staring down at me. I nod and try to supress my giggles. "I'm sorry Lucas, it's just so ridiculous! I mean, come on, you? A vampire?" Luc just glares at me.

I get up and hastily brush the dirt from the bottom of my dress. "Fine, since we're being serious and all, I would be wondering why you haven't helped me heal Elizabeth." Luc looks at me in surprise, "You wouldn't run off screaming?" I laugh and drag him into the city. "Only if you started drinking blood in front of me."

Content with my answer, Luc begins to break out of his bad mood. But because fate isn't kind to me, that doesn't last long. We've only just turned down a darkened alleyway when he suddenly freezes. I tug on the sleeve of his shirt, "Luc? What's wrong?" He frowns and grips my wrist. Hard.

"Ouch Lucas! You're hurting me!" He completely ignores me and keeps staring into the darkness. "Maysilee, get behind me." He whispers almost pleadingly. I stare at him in confusion. "But w-" "Just do it!" He hisses and without hesitating I leap behind him. Why did I do that? It almost wasn't my decision...

"Ah you brought a snack Lucius." The soft voice of a woman purrs through the alley. Fear washes over me. What's going on? Lucas's body stiffens. "We've been through this before, Adria. I'm not like you." Laughter rings out across the alley and a woman with flaming red hair, pale skin and piercing blue eyes steps out of the darkness. "Come now, we're not so different."

She looks at me and smiles sweetly. "Hello sweetheart. Why don't you come over here to me?" NO! I think to myself but it's as if my body has a mind of its own. My feet begin moving slowly toward the scary girl and Luc looks at me with fear in his eyes. "Adria no!" But its to late, I'm already standing beside her. "Oh but Lucius, she's so adorable! I could just... eat her all up."

Lucas's eyes grow wide and so do mine. Realization dawns on me, Adria is a vampire. "She's my friend!" For a split second I can control myself again but instead of running like what any smart people would do, I collapse on the hard ground. "Maysilee!" I'm vaguely aware of a sharp pain in my neck before I black out.

"May? Maysilee wake up!" I open my eyes and barely make out the shape of Lucas hovering above me. "Wha-" "Shh." I feel Lucas press his hand to my mouth and a warm liquid with a metallic taste washes over my lips. Blood? "Just drink it, May. It'll make the pain go away, I promise." Pain? What pain? I feel nothing but the weak thumping of my heart inside my chest. But if he thinks it will help, who am I to judge?

It doesn't taste to bad actually, but it doesn't help. Not in the slightest. "May, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." The hand falls from my lips. "Lucas." I croak as the darkness pulls me under.