Please Be Mine

Brooke tried to act fine around Nick. She tried to ignore the burning feeling in her chest when she was around him. She tried to ignore his hints. She tried to ignore his flirtation. She tried to forget him. She tried to just be his friend. But Nick wouldn't have it.

Nick kept coming through her window like nothing had changed. He would play a song and then they'd talk. He'd try to hint at getting another kiss, but Brooke kept refusing to acknowledge it. And eventually Nick became so frustrated, he cracked.

"Did I do something wrong?" He said slightly too loud. Brooke's eye widened at the sound of his voice. She shook her head 'no' slightly. "You're lying to me." She shook her head 'no' once again. He sighed in frustration. "Then why are you acting like we never kissed?" He hung his head, his eyes barely visible underneath his mass of curly hair. Brooke's eyes darted to the floor.

"I'm-" She sighed. "I'm sorry." Nick picked up his head slightly.

"Why?"

"You're, you're leaving soon. I'm afraid this won't work out. I'm afraid you'll break me." Nick went and sat on the bed next to Brooke. He grabbed her hand in his.

"I wouldn't do that Brooke. Especially not to you." She smiled at him slightly. "Why do you think I'll hurt you?" Just as Brooke's lips began to part, another person entered the room.

"Hey, I thought I told you two to stop this." Joe immediately scoffed. Nick looked at Brooke instantly, his face turning red with anger.

"He told you that, didn't he?" Brooke didn't respond. Nick's anger grew and he got up and pushed Joe back.

"Hey, stop it! What the hell is wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with you? Why did you tell Brooke I'd hurt her?" Nick pushed Joe again. Joe put his hands in the air as if in defense.

"Just looking out for the both of you. Once we leave, there's no chance for you two." He defended. Nick looked back at Brooke, who's eyes were welling with tears, before turning back to his brother. He pushed him once more before walking over to the window.

"You're wrong." He shouted and then climbed out the window, leaving Brooke alone with Joe once again. But this time he didn't stay very long.

"But am I?" He whispered to Brooke. And then he quickly followed his brother out the window and back to their house. Leaving Brooke alone and confused. And she began to wonder whether Joe was truly right or not. She began to cry tears of worriment, because she didn't want to know the answer.

A week later, things still hadn't been going well. Nick refused to talk to his brother, Joe. Brooke was still avoiding Nick and their connection. And Nick was leaving in two days.

He was so excited, yet so upset to be leaving. He wasn't only leaving Brooke, but also his whole life. Or the only life he had yet to know.

And although he was certain that music was his future and going to LA was the best way to get there, he couldn't help but feel like he was leaving a part of his future here in New Jersey. For some reason, he just knew. He knew Brooke was his future too. He also knew this sounded crazy. It was crazy to think your first crush could end up being the love of your life, but Nick felt it in his heart that she was more than just a little childhood crush. She was going to be the love of his life. He knew this. Now he just had to convince Brooke to give him a chance to prove it. 

So that whole night he slaved over his guitar, creating chords and melodies. Trying to create the perfect song for Brooke. For Brooke to just understand that he deserved a chance, no matter what anyone else thought or said. When he finally finished the song, it was well past midnight and his vision became foggy. He drifted into sleep, merely a few seconds after the song's completion. 

When Nick awoke in the morning, he grabbed his guitar, ran to his window, climbed out, and made his way over to Brooke's house. Instead of taking the window, he knocked on her front door. After a few seconds, he was greeted by Brooke's father. 

"Hey Nick, how's it going?" His smile stretched across his face. 

"Is Brooke home?" He looked up at him, he was quite taller than Nick.

"You just missed her. She's out with her mother, running a few errands." Nick's face crumpled, and Brooke's father quickly noticed. "She'll be home by tonight though." 

"Okay, thanks Mr. Mandell." Nick began to walk away, back towards his house. 

"Hey Nick!" Mr. Mandell shouted. Nick swiftly turned around and looked at him. "Congrats on the record deal." 

"Thanks." Nick smiled slightly and trudged back to his house, slightly disappointed. 

A few hours later, Brooke pulled into her driveway after a long day shopping with her mom. She began to pull groceries out of the back seat when Nick came running out of his front door over to her.

"Hi Mrs. Mandell, do you mind if I borrow Brooke for a little?" Nick quickly asked before even glancing at Brooke.

"It's getting kind of late, Nick." She said after glancing down at her watch.

"It's my last night in Wycoff. I'd really like to spend it with Brooke." He looked at her, pleading.

"Alright, alright. Go ahead Brooke. Just don't come home too late, okay?" Brooke merely nodded and walked with Nick towards his house. They climbed the stairs up to his bedroom quickly saying hi to his parents as they passed. Nick sat down on his disheveled bed and picked up his beaten up guitar. 

"Nick-I", she began to stutter before Nick cut her off.

"Just listen okay?" He placed his guitar on his lap and began to play the chords he had worked tirelessly on the night before.

"They come and go but they don't know,
That you are my beautiful.

I try to come closer with you,
But they all say we won't make it through.

But I'll be there forever.
You will see that it's better.
All our hopes and our dreams will come true.
I will not disappoint you.
I'll be right there for you 'til the end.
The end of time.
Please be mine.

I'm in and out of love with you,
Trying to find if it's really true.
oh no no no no.
How can I prove my love,
If they all think I'm not good enough.

But I'll be there forever.
You will see that it's better.
All our hopes and our dreams will come true.
I will not disappoint you.
I will be right there for you 'til the end.
The end of time.
Please be mine.

I can't stop the rain from falling.
Can't stop my heart from calling you.
It's calling you.
I can't stop the rain from falling.
Can't stop my heart from calling you.
It's calling you.
I can't stop the rain from falling.
Can't stop my heart from calling you.
It's calling you.

But I'll be there forever.
You will see that it's better.
All our hopes and our dreams will come true.
I will not disappoint you.
I will be right there for you 'til the end.
The end of time.
Please be mine."

He lifted his face up to meet hers. Her eyes had tears building. He smiled slightly and walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace.

"We'll make it work." He whispered. "Somehow." 

"Somehow." She repeated.

Sorry it took forever to update. I've been majorly slacking, I'm sorry. Hope this was worth the wait. xx