Family Isn't always Blood.

I arrived at the Bank at the same time as Steve, he had been closer to 42nd than I had. Listening closely, I heard the sounds of people inside. Focusing in on the sound of their heartbeats, I identified how many people were hostage inside the building. The sounds of the chitauri heartbeats were much faster than those of a human, and they beat harder.

"Cap, there's 54 people in there. Three Chitauri. We have to be careful that none of the civilians are hurt." I relayed what I had heard to Cap, and he nodded solemnly. A quiet beeping noise from inside the building distracts me, and I turn to Steve. 

"I think they just charged a bomb. We have to move in. Now." I said to Cap with urgency. I hovered up and smashed through an upper window, Steve jumping through the window-frame a second after me. He threw his shield at the Chitauri holding the bomb. The two remaining soldiers aimed their rifles at him, but he headed for cover under a desk, which he kicked at them. Springing to action, I got a Chitauri into a headlock, and used my strength to smash my other fist through it's skull. 

Jumping off the Chitauri, I backhanded the second one over the railing, and it fell two floors down to it's death. The bomb was beeping faster, and given the acceleration of the beep, we had about 15 seconds before it detonated. 

"Everyone! Clear out!" I yelled, as I telekinetically unlocked and opened the double doors at the front of the bank. 

"Cap! Get down!" I barked at Steve, and he got behind his shield. I made a forcefield bubble, and surrounded the bomb with it. I threw my body over the forcefield, just as the bomb detonated. The damage was minimal, but I was thrown back and through the broken window by the force of the blast. 

For a moment, the wind rushed past my ears, and then I am slammed out of the quiet when my back collided with the hard metal of a car roof. I whined as I tried to sit up, my spine roughed up from the harsh impact. I collapsed back onto my back, giving my body a couple of seconds to heal a bit before attempting to stand. The police and Firemen had arrived, and were helping pull out the civilians that we had saved.

 Before I can have another go at moving, an arm slipped behind my neck, and another under my legs. I made a move to fight, but I realized that it was just Captain America. My body had been mostly healed, so I tapped Steve on the shoulder to signal that he could put me back on my feet. Before I could talk, Steve pulled me into a hug, his broad physique engulfing mine. I tensed for a moment, before hugging him back, my arms around his waist. 

"Jeez Cass, I thought you had died!" He said, pulling back but keeping his hands rested on my shoulders.

"Steve, I can't be injured for long. I'm not even sure I can die to be perfectly honest." I said, shrugging.

"That was a brave thing you did in there. We've not known each other very long, but I know you're a good kid. You're loss would've affected this team a lot. Particularly Tony. He may not show it, but he cares about you. Besides, your family would kill me if anything had happened to you under my watch." He finished with a chuckle. 

I frowned, my head tilting slightly."My family?" I asked, "They don't care about me. My mother abandoned me, and my father is a murderous god. The only reason he would be angry is that he wasn't the one that killed me!" 

"Not your biological family. I meant us. Clint, Nat, Bruce, Tony, Thor and I. Family isn't always blood. It's the people in your life who want you in theirs; the ones who accept you for who you are." I smiled, and hugged him again, before I noticed my father hovering a couple dozen metres away, near Stark Tower. My smile dropped, and I turned and walked a few feet before turning back to face Steve. 

"If you'll excuse me, I have some family issues to resolve."

Bahhahaa so maybe I lied, this isn't the last chapter yet. But this isn't really a chapter, it'm more of a filler to be honest. The next one will be the actual last chapter I promise. It's just that the next chapter would have been super longggg, so I cut this bit off into it's own little chapter. Thanks for reading, please comment, vote and share!

~Masie xoxo