And it seems I'm not the only one noticing the change in our relationship either.

Violet wasn't the only one to confront me about my feelings for Katy (all the way until she left to return to her university might I add) but also Lamar. Earlier today after we went to drop off the birthday cake I knew something was up when I tried to leave the van but he called out, "Wait."

I looked up at him questionably and he added, "Just . . . hold on for one second. I need to talk to you about something while I have you here."

Slowly, I pulled my hand back from the door wondering what this was all about and said, "Okay. What's up?"

It took him a moment to say something before he heaved a sigh and looked at me. "Gage . . . listen, I know this isn't my place even in the slightest, but I can't let this slide by without me saying something."

My first instinct was fear. Maybe he figured out where I really go at night. I thought I covered my tracks, but maybe I had been wrong. I only relaxed a bit when he said, "I know that you and Katy are more than just co-workers, or friends for that matter. And that's all fine, but there is something you should know before continuing on."

I didn't deny his accusations although I couldn't confirm them just yet either since I myself wasn't sure what was going on. So instead I just listened to what he had to say noting the severity of his tone.

"I won't go into great detail because as I said before, it's not my place. But as someone really close to Katy, I feel like I should say something because I know she won't," he began and ran his hand over his smooth scalp before continuing, clearly uncomfortable. "Katy . . . I really don't know how to start this. Okay, okay . . . I've been around for a while, and I've noticed a few things about people as I got older. For instance, sometimes the happiest people are actually smiling so much because they are hiding their pain. Katy is . . . well, she's, unfortunately, one of those people."

My chest tightened at the thought although a part of me didn't fully believe what he was saying could be true. There was just no way Shortcake could be miserable, she was the epitome of happiness. But then I remember when she was drunk and kept asking me to stay to make them go away. I thought she was just blabbering, but could there be more to it? Could she have something going on that she's not saying? I should know better than anyone about keeping demons locked away from view. Am I not alone?

"Katy is the sweetest person I know . . . but, she has been through a lot. More than she should have," he continued. "You would never know it unless she told you, and I had to pry it out of her for years. It's not something she likes to talk about, understandably so. And again I won't go into great detail, but I figured a guy like you should be aware of the fact."

"A guy like me?" I raised a questionable eyebrow.

"A guy that she cares about . . . romantically," he spoke honestly. "I've seen how you two are and I've seen something shift over the past few months. Katy is different when she is with you, and I've known her for a while. She has always been a happy soul, but with you . . . I don't know, she's just . . . better." He's wrong, it was the other way around, I thought to myself. "I've seen the way she perks up when you are around or how she finds more interest in you than her baking. With you, she seems confident, happy, and all around cheerful. More so than usual. And I know she's not alone in this," he gave me a pointed look. My lips formed a straight line, again not able to deny anything.