1| Cocoa Cappuccino Cookie

"No, no, no, no!" I quickly lodged myself between the door and Deborah before she could try to escape

"No, no, no, no!" I quickly lodged myself between the door and Deborah before she could try to escape. "I refuse to let you walk out this door."

I used as much of an authoritative tone as I could muster, but Deborah only smiled and shook her head snickering. "And what? Your five-foot-nothing frame is going to stop me?"

I paused to think about it. In truth, I didn't think of what I would do if Deborah didn't accept my refusal. I only came up to her shoulder, so we both knew that my options were slightly limited. Trying to stop her from walking out this door would be as useful as me stopping a train.

Realizing her sound logic, I went straight to plan B.

And it wasn't pretty.

Making sure that I didn't get anything like flour on my new pants, I carefully folded my knees under me and assumed the position of begging. A very low position, I must admit. But it was all I could do.

Her eyebrow shot up when I clasped my hands in front of me and said, "Please, please, please don't leave me. I know that two weeks ago I approved your notice to quit but . . . I had just finished season six of Grey's Anatomy. I wasn't in the right state of mind!"

But she didn't feed into my plan like I had hoped. Instead, the redhead replied, "You know you look ridiculous right now, Katy."

"I'm a desperate woman!"

She sighed rolling her eyes all the way around and back to me. "Come on. You know that as much as I would love to stay, I can't. I am starting school like tomorrow. It has been set in stone for months now. We discussed this multiple times, remember?"

I pursed my lips. "For some reason, it escaped my mind."

"How convenient," she rested her hand on the doorknob behind her.

In my final act of desperation, I called out, "I'll cut back your hours!"

"In this store? Please."

"I swear on it! I'll only have you work prep in the mornings. The twins can handle the front. Lamar and I will tackle baking," I promised, getting to my feet albeit a little clumsily. "Scouts honor, you won't even so much as look at a mixer."

Deborah's nose scrunched up as if she smelled something spoiled. "After all that I've done for you, you would put me in such a low position?"

"Hey!" I heard Lamar call out from the back room. Prepping was his specialty.

"I could make you cashier and ignore the kitchen altogether," I challenged.