Here We Go Again

I had to focus on what energy I had left to scan my roof for any proof of tampering. I felt extremely queasy, but I knew in this line of work, you had four hours before your chances grew slim of ever seeing the one you cared about alive. My head had never throbbed so much in my life after that realization. I couldn't lose Selena, not now. Not after telling her how I felt and finding out that although I didn't know how to love her, I did however feel more for her with each passing day.

          I tried debating with myself if climbing off the roof to scout the ground was such a good idea. If it was daylight I could pick up more traces of the intruder or intruders who snuck into my house to snatch the woman from under me. The sheer idea brought me to my knees. I hovered over the previous bile that escaped me, trying to hold what was left of my dinner inside. But as I studied the road and trees from my roof, I puked once more. She had been taking a shower, what if she was out here naked.

          "Selena!" I screamed for the twentieth time that evening. As I pulled myself to my feet, half dizzy and mostly scared, I could spot a flashing light in the distance. It was moving towards my street with such precision that it had to be someone undercover. You wouldn't be able to tell that much if you weren't trained in such an art. I struggled to climb down, finally catching my footing as the car stopped near the front. I wasn't stupid to call out into the night. But unlike those days back in the agency, I had no weapons. I was practically a sitting duck.

          "Demi." A familiar voice, which I've dearly missed, chilled me.

          "Joe?" My voice surprised him as I held onto the wall for support as he studied me.

          "They came?" He questioned as I took in his attire. He wasn't undercover. He had been fully dressed in his all black bullet proof outfit with a headpiece to match. His eyes were the only thing I could spot just before he ripped off his mask. "They came?" He pulled out his gun as I studied him.

          "They who?"

          "So no one got here?" He snapped his head back and forth, taking in the different angles of my home.

          "Selena's gone." My voice shook, just as I forced myself to stand up straight. "Someone took her."

          "Let me check the parameter." Joe carried himself into the nearby brush before I could tell him that it was over ten minutes ago. I ran into the house, grabbing my phone as Joe met me near the back. "I don't see anything."

          "Its been over ten minutes. I have to check the airport. There's only one way off this island. No plane leaves without authorization, big or small. Its nearing eleven, no flights leave until morning."

          "How are you so sure whoever has her is taking her to the airport."

          "Its all I have to go on right now." I weakly told him. "I need a gun."

          "You're a civilian now. You can't handle government property, nor do you have a license to carry."

          "My license is still valid within the agency."

          "The agency doesn't exist."

          "Don't be an ass Joe." I made it back towards the front of the house. He ran around the side, meeting me at the front.

          "This is why I came to see you."

          "I can't stand here and talk, I have to find Selena."

          "Listen to me." Joe grabbed my arm, forcing me to face him as I yanked away.

          "What?!"