Harris's List

HARRIS'S LIST

OF

COVENT-GARDEN LADIES

OR

Man of Pleasure's KALENDER

For the year 1793

Containing

The Histories and some curious Anecdotes of the most celebrated Ladies now on the Town, or in keeping, and also many of their keepers.

Published by the Ex-classics Project, 2012

http://www.exclassics.com

Public Domain

Miss D—vis, No. 22, Upper Newman-street.

Artful ways beguile the implicit rake.

THIS is a fine lively girl, about twenty-one, rather above the middle size, genteely made; has several good friends, but is much attached to young Br—om, the lottery-office-keeper, who is now in prison, where she often visits him; is ever obliging, and seldom out of humour, understands a great deal of her business, and never fails to please. She enjoys her favourite man with ecstasy; and pleases, with cold indifference, managed by art, the rest of her votaries; who are content with thinking they have fathomed the deepest part of a girl so replete with sensation; in short, she can so well counterfeit the passions of love and lust, that many of the most knowing rakes of the town would be easily deceived. This lady occupies the parlour.

Miss Godf—y, No. 22, Upper Newman-street.

If parts can conquer great and small,

Sure — and Godf—y must needs do all.

This lady is a kind of boatswain in her way, and when she speaks, every word is uttered with a thundering and vociferous tone. She is a fine lively little girl, about twenty-two, very fond of dancing, has dark eyes and hair, well shaped, and an exceeding good bed-fellow, will take brandy with any one, or drink and swear, and though but little, will fight a good battle. We apprehend this lady would be an extraordinary good companion for an officer in the army, as she might save him the trouble of giving the word of command.

She resides in the first floor.

Mrs. P—ge, No. 26, Upper Newman-street.

Come, thou Goddess, fair and free,

With the sweet simplicity.

The above two lines are highly descriptive of Mrs. P—, who for ease, freedom and simplicity is scarcely to be matched among the whole sisterhood, besides which, her beauty is by no means inconsiderable. She is about twenty, has been near five years in business, and has had tolerable fortune; her features are good, except her mouth, which is a little too wide, especially when she laughs, which is pretty often. Those who are inclined to mirth, will find her to be a good companion, without the least tincture of blasphemy, she is not of a mercenary disposition, yet she expects one pound one, but rather than lose a customer will put up with half the sum.

Mrs. R—ad, No. 66, Queen Anne Street East.

With the sports of the field, there's no Pleasure can vie,

Then follow, follow, &c. the hounds in full cry.

A fine tall girl, about twenty-two, elegant in person, with a captivating countenance. She has found out the true art to please and be pleased. Mrs. R—d has very dark eyes and eye-brows, and plenty of the same colour hair on the enchanting spot of love, being a fine cover for game. This lady has tasted the sweets of many good things in purse and person, and relishes them all. Her predominant passion seems for horses, hounds, and the delights of the field. No one is more emulous than our heroine, to be in at the death; upon the whole we may pronounce this lady a woman of taste and spirit, which she displays in nothing more forcibly, hunting not excepted, than in the choice of her favourite, as he is still a hunter.