Chapter 16 - The First Wolfen

Start from the beginning

His eyes narrowed. "Say that again," he said in a tone that clearly outlined that his patience was on its last straw.

Ailara ignored him and walked away. Before she could blink, Dimitrios was standing before her.

"All these years, you accepted Heilen's blood. But you won't accept the blood of your own mate."

Ailara threw back her head and laughed. "You're not my mate," she hissed. Then, she traced away from him and towards the pool. It was much easier this time because there were no enchantments to prevent her from doing so.

Again, the thought of escape entered her mind. She did think of escaping several times throughout the night as they rode. She can trace away but she can't cover a large amount of distance. First, because she was week since she has not fed in a while. Second, she did not know this forest well and she might end up tracing over a cliff or in the deepest part of a raging river.

Also, Dimitrios and his men would just find her. So there was no point. The Wolfen's sense of smell was the most acute. They were excellent hunters and trackers and they revelled in it.

She would just end up wasting time and energy if she tried to escape. Besides, they had Vicenzo. Who would stop them from killing her friend when she's gone?

☾ - ☾ - ☾ - ☾ - ☾

Ailara stepped out of the darkness and into the torchlight after a few minutes.

Dimitrios took one whiff of her scent and he was instantly as hard as a rock. He closed his eyes and inhaled once more while praying for control at the same time. It took every ounce of his self-control not to pounce on her and show her just how much she frustrated him.

"Still not hungry?" he taunted.

And as usual, she ignored him. It riled him but at the same time, a part of him recognized and revelled in the challenge. He was king and he was the strongest Wolfen. No one in his kingdom dared to ignore him or contradict every word he said.

Dimitrios shrugged. "Well then, if you change your mind... I'll be here all day," he told her. He smiled smugly.

"What?" she hissed.

"I'm sleeping here when the sun rises," he told her. "What?" she repeated.

Dimitrios wanted to taunt her and rile her just so she could talk to him. He found himself enjoying it immensely. He was thinking of a clever reply when one of his warriors walked inside.

"My king, it would be a great honor if you would join us for a light meal before we all head to our beds," the warrior said.

"Very well," Dimitrios replied. "Come, Ailara," he ordered.

"I'd rather stay," she answered coolly.

"It's customary for the Wolfen to share meals when travelling to war. This is because we think that it forges the bond between brothers. And besides, they always tell stories about the old gods. You love those myths, don't you?"

Immediately, a change came over her. Her scowl vanished and the dullness in her eyes was replaced with curiosity.

Dimitrios remembered Ailara's fascination about the old gods when they were still younger. Whenever she visited the Wolfen kingdom, she sat with him in his lessons. He almost nodded off at each and every one of them but she was always alert and fascinated.

"Which story are they telling?" she asked tentatively.

Dimitrios walked towards the exit of the cave and he almost grinned when she followed.