Chapter 8: The Family Fusion

Start from the beginning

"Whatever," Britain said before hanging up.

Bryce was crawling out of bed, swiping his eyes.

"I smelled food, and I swore I heard my mom..."

"Both are true," Michelle said. "Hopefully you like eggs Benedict, because I have bad news."

"Lay it on me, sugar," Bryce said. He got a little extra flirty in the morning.

"Were going to dinner at my house with my family," Michelle said, pausing. "And they've invited your entire family as well."

"Well, bring on the family," Bryce said. "What's the worst that could happen?"

Michelle just handed him a plate, sighing as she did so. Family was a happy place to Bryce, a thing that defined and secured him. For Michelle family was just another F-word, the most derogatory word of them all.

*****

Bryce and Michelle made sure to get to the Silas house early. The look on Bryce's face was priceless as he took in the detaisl of the three story, ten bedroom home with a perfect yard complete with sculputres and trimmed hedges.

"You grew up here?"

"Yes," Michelle said. "But don't be so impressed. All the money is just a smokecreen for dysfunction. Which reminds me, my stepmother is a little bit...well, she's an overgrown child."

"Ok," Bryce said.

"She will probably shamelessly flirt with you, i f I know her. Also, she likes to insult me constantly."

"How does she do that?"

"She makes jokes about my weight or my appearance," Michelle said. "She also likes to remind me that my father would rather indulge her than take care of me."

"I won't allow anyone to treat my wife like she's a second class citizen."

"Bryce, please," Michelle whispered. "I am already nervous about meeting your family and that my family will embarass me horribly. if you stand up to her, she'll make sure to ruin my first impression with your family."

"Fine, I will be good tonight. But tomorrow and beyond, I will tear her a new one if she comes after you."

"You don't need to protect me, we're not really...you know..."

"I don't like any woman being mistreated. And we may not be all that we appear, but you have to know I like you by now."

"I know," Michelle replied. "I guess the lines are a little blurry right now. If you want to take care of me, then I will let you. But you'll be doing it because you so desire to do so, and not because of our 'marriage', ok."

"I want to take care of you," Bryce said. "So trust me when I say that I will make sure tonight goes well."

A busty blonde woman in a skin tight fuchsia dress that looked a lot to Bryce like lipstick colored sausage casing. She nearly toppled over in her heels, and Michelle shook her head.

"Yoohoo," Britain called out. "What are you two doing out here? People will be arriving any minute."

Michelle opened the door, and Bryce hopped out and gave the woman a piercing glare. Was this the girl who'd been bashing Michelle online?

"Jeez, Michelle," Britain said. "I knew you managed to get a guy without paying him, but damn. Sweetie, you are far too handsome to be with a girl like her."

"What does that mean? Michelle is gorgeous and worthy in every possible way."

"So you're into to big girls, huh? That must be a Mexican cultural thing."