Chapter 7: The Paperwork

"Sierra, Magda, I'm back," Michelle called out her two roommate piled out their rooms, looking fiercely angry.

"What the hell," Sierra cried. "You got married and we found out on Facebook!"

Sierra, Michelle's got he'd out roommate, was a little darker and angrier than usual. She had new red highlights to her black dye job and extra eyeliner on her face. That meant Sierra was in a mood.

"Sorry," Michelle said, trying to seem diplomatic. "Do you want to meet him? I had to make sure you guys were decent first."

"Sure," Sierra said. "Whatever..."

"I want to meet him, officially," Magda said. "Wait, are you moving out now?"

"Yes," Michelle said. "But I'll pay for this months rent, ok?"

"We get it, you're married and happy, blah, blah, blah," Sierra said bitterly.

"Don't mind her," Magda said. "Sierra and Doug broke up, again. So you picked a bad time to get married on the fly."

Doug and Sierra had been together, and then not together, and then back again since grade school. Since graduation, their breakups had become more intense and painful. Michelle thought it was just a manner of time before they were off, permanently. Magda had never had a serious boyfriend, despite her model good looks and bright attitude. Michelle had always joked that Magda was too much fabulous for one man to handle.

"I am sorry Sierra," Michelle said. "I know it sounds crazy, but I know once you get to know Bryce, you'll love him."

"All men are scum," Sierra said. "Cheating, lying, scum..."

"Don't be like that girlfriend," Magda said. "Think of this, ok. Michelle's husband probably has hot friends, and you're twelve years overdue for a rebound guy."

"I'm glad you're finding the silver lining in my life choices," Michelle joked.

"Just go get Mr. Wonderful, please?"

Michelle just nodded, and Bryce was waiting outside. As much as she enjoyed her weekend away with him, having Bryce in her real life felt good. It was as though they were adjusting, finding a new normal. Michelle was excited to show him off, even if he wasn't her forever husband. She had him in public for four years, and that was something.

"Hey beautiful," Bryce said as Michelle rounded the corner. "Can I come in now?"

"Yes, but I am warning you, Sierra is post-breakup and Magda has boundary issues."

"So I am walking to a trap? Are they going to kill me?"

"Never. My friends are a bit eccentric, but affable. My family on the other hand...they are nothing like yours. I'd sell my soul for your parents."

"Well, they're your in laws now," Bryce said. "But wait until you meet the Santiago sisters, who are going to interrogate you relentlessly."

"Let's go, Bryce," Michelle said. "I have to pack up my things."

"Yes Dear," Bryce said with a smirk.

They entered the studio, which had two bunk beds and a television on a desk. A small microwave was on a small table, and there was a large bathroom.

"You three live here?" Bryce asked, amazed at the setup and the small space.

"Michelle is barely here," Sierra said, her eyes zeroing in on Bryce. "Between her two jobs, she is practically transient. But yes, we all live here. Welcome to the casa of broke girls."

"Hello," Magda said. "So, before you say anything, I want to know if you have an brothers who speak Spanish and look just like you."

"You must be Magda," Bryce said, grinning. "And no, I have no brothers. I do have a gaggle of sisters, one who is single and into girls."