Chapter 8: The Family Fusion

They had been home at Bryce's apartment for two days, contained in their own world. Michelle and Bryce had both registered for classes, and Michelle spent the last of Britain's money on groceries and furniture for the apartment. Bryce had insisted he didn't need help paying the rent, and Michelle had decided to agree by contributing to other household funds. She'd taken the week off from her moonlighting, just to get adjusted to her new life. Bryce was sleeping off the night before, which was another night of staying in with his fake wife, and Michelle was in the kitchen making breakfast. As she whipped up the hollandaise sauce for eggs Benedict, the doorbell rang. Michelle zipped up her sweater, which she'd borrowed from Bryce, and peeped out the window. Tina Santiago was outside of her door, looking nervous and fidgety. Michelle took a deep breath and opened the door.

"Hi Mrs. Santiago," Michelle said. "How are you?"

"You can call me Tina. And I am fine...what is that heavenly smell?"

"I am making some breakfast. Bryce is still sleeping, he worked a bit late last night..."

She didn't need to clarify what kind of work he was doing.

"Oh well, I had no idea you could cook. I'm more of a takeout woman myself...but my mother loved to spend time in the kitchen."

"So did my mother," Michelle said. "If you'd like, you can come in and have a bite."

"No dear, I am just passing by," Tina said. "The truth is, I wanted to discuss your fathers dinner party invitation. A woman named Britain called me and told me to invite our whole family over. I am just concerned they don't know what they're in for, we're a big family and I have five grandchildren."

"Wait, Britain invited you all over to my father's house?"

"Didn't you know? She said it was a celebration party."

"I didn't, but I am sure she emailed me or something. Britain usually assumed I read her tweets everyday."

"This is your...stepmother..."

"Yes," Michelle said. "I know, this is odd. If you want to cancel, don't feel obligated to go to this thing."

"Well, all of my daughters are curious about you my dear. And I'd love to meet your family , even if you're not close. We are all connected now, so we may as well get acquainted."

"Ok," Michelle said. "I just...my family doesn't always do well with big events."

"Like when you crashed your fathers wedding," Tina said. "Oh honey, I know how to use google. I'm not that old."

"Well, I will call my Dad. They will be ready for your family, and we will all have dinner."

"Alright dear," she said. "When my son wakes up, tell him to call me."

"Sure," Michelle said. "I guess I'll see you tonight."

Michelle closed the door and dialed her stepmother, loathing the ringing in her ears.

"Hello dear," Britain said. "How's married life?"

"Great. Hey, were you going to invite me to the dinner party you're throwing in my honor?"

"I suppose," Britain said. "Don't you read my blog?"

"Since you wrote that post about weight loss and tagged me, I unsuscribed. So no, I don't read your blog Britain."

"Well, you found out one way or another. Be there at seven, and do make sure your hombre showers, comprendo?"

"Britain, you don't speak Spanish, and you're being racist. He is actually very clean, and sexy. Try not to drool over him while you contemplate your poor decision to marry a man twenty years your senior."