The Evil Steps

The Evil Steps

"You're a useless girl. Your nothing but an eye sore to the world." She draped me while yelling. "No one wants you here. No one cares about you."

"This is my house. You people don't belong here." She slapped me across my face. maybe I shouldn't have riled her up but it was the truth. I held my cheek the tears threatening to fall. "I'm going to tell my father you gold digging bitch."

The sheer force of the back of her hand was enough to knock the air out my lungs and fall to the floor. I tried backing away from her but she only came closer. I was at a dead end when my back hit the wall of my special place in the attic.

Her sinister laugh was one that I would never forget. She stooped down to me and gave that smile that would make chucky run for his life.

"Poor girl." She cooed so sweetly. It was really scary. "What makes you think your father would believe you? you mean nothing to him after the day your mother died."

The mention of my mother was enough to break me. she wasn't lying. Why would he believe me? it was four months since my mom died and my father tried to avoid me like the plague busying himself at work.

When he was home he spent the majority of his time with his trophy. The other times he was busy trying to please his new daughter. Buying her things so she would shut up. I've never seen a bigger brat in my life.

Mom died four months ago and he got married two months after. The worst part he didn't consult me. See how I felt about it. After his one-month marriage he had slowly forgot about me. He would make so many excuses why he wouldn't come to my ballet and karate competitions.

I was okay with it. He was hardworking and tired. That's what I told myself. Then he forgot my fifteen birthday. It was like a slap to the face considering I was born two days before him.

His wife pleased with her handy work at making me cry left my attic. I trashed the place and then cleaned it up.

Life went on like that for two years. Her hurting me emotionally and physically.

I remembered when I was on the brink of giving up. taking their advice to just end it. I chose to live for my father but he didn't want me. His new family weren't afraid to express how much they wished I was gone.

I was running a bath the night. The tub was filled with nice warm water. I got in the water cover all the way to my neck. I grabbed the blade off the little table beside my tub. This was it. I was going to join my mother.

The second the blade was about to pierce my skin the door opened. Deloris ran to me when she saw what I was about to do. She grabbed my hand and I just started crying. I completely forgot that Deloris usually comes in to place towels for me to dry off.

She held me in her arms. It was Deloris. She was the one that reminded me that someone did care for me. She was always there for me like a mother. It wasn't even in her job description yet she made it her duty to ensure that I was comfortable in my own house.

I didn't care if I was naked I got out the tub and hugged her. Deloris saved me from doing something stupid. My father may not care for me and the same go for his family. Out there though someone would. Not everyone will like you but not everyone will hate you.

After my failed attempt I realized if I wanted to find those people who are right for me I had to leave. Deloris helped me understand that and when I got the call from the university I took it as a sign.

Now here I am today back in the house that starred in my nightmares for years. Never would I have thought I would comeback. Even worse for the woman that put the devil to shame daughter's wedding. I pity the poor guy who was getting hitched to a bitch.

I smoothed down my blush sundress and took a long stare in the mirror. My hair was caught in a high pony tail and my makeup was looking pretty natural. My gold flats tied the outfit together. I was ready. I could suffer through brunch.

I quickly exit the house and took off in the direction of the restaurant the family was meeting. I think it was the best option to have lunch in public. They wouldn't do anything bad.

The drive was ten minutes. I was running late but the less time with them the better for me.

The valet took my car and the lady who stood in front of a podium showed me to my table. Here goes nothing.

"Lexi so wonderful to see you." wonderful indeed it would be if you were at least 10000 miles away from me. The sweetness in her voice was well rehearsed and her fake smile looked painful. I don't know why she tries. Her Botox had her face so tight.

I looked at her like she grew a second head. I sat down giving her my best fake smile. next to me was sister. She was just a ray of sunshine with her vicious smile and cold glare.

"So it would seem."

We ordered our food and you wouldn't believe how fascinating melting ice could be. I was dying. This brunch was just horrid. When the waiter came with our food I was so happy. It shut them up for a while.

"Lexi aren't you going to congratulate your sister." My father cut me off from my moment with food.

"Yes Lexis. Your sister has found love. When are you going to?" that dear people is the mother bitch. I knew what she was doing. She was really implying that I couldn't find anyone to love me.

I could think of multiple men but they weren't for me. Well there was one...

"I'm in no rush to find any. And congrats to finding someone who could love you." I smiled so sweetly at sister dearest. She was fuming. "Excuse me but I have to use the ladies room."

I really didn't have to. The rage rolling off the two women was reason enough. I didn't wait for a reply from them I just grabbed my purse and left like the place was on fire.

Inside the bathroom I just sat on the comfy chair and wait it out. It felt good to finally breathe. That table was sucking the life out of me.

"You little bitch." I turned to the voice. Walking in was a fuming Cassy. I raised an eyebrow at her. "What are you doing here? I did not order the house trash for my wedding."

"Excuse me. The air in the bathroom has now been contaminated by that awful excuse for perfume you are wearing." I tried to leave but she pushed me up against the wall. "Listen. If you want to look good for your wedding although that's highly impossible at this point. You get your fucking hands off of me."

I tried moving again but her grip on my right arm tightened as her other hand slapped me across my face.

"You better be careful and remember your place in society." She slapped me. it was still trying to register in my brain. It is taking a whole lot a will power to not smash her face in. I knew if I did she would tell my father and I will look like the bad guy. That is what happens every time.

"No you listen. If you ever touch me again I will give you a beating you will never forget." My voice was so cold it made her visibly flinch and scared me a bit too. I shoved her off of me and walked out.

Fuck the rest of brunch. I breathed the same air long enough for today. Back at the house I saw Deloris outside waiting.

"I'm impressed. You lasted 45 minutes with them." I laughed at her statement. "Anyways you forgot your phone and you have four calls. One from the bank. One from Mr. Whyte and two from a man named Chace." She winked at me with the last one.

Chace? I don't know a Chace.

"What's the bank and Mr. Whyte calling for?" The last time I saw or spoke with them was a week before my mom's death. She smiled at me.

"Why don't you call and see honey. They didn't tell me the specifics but they are expecting a call." I nodded and took my phone.