Chapter 2

Taking one last look around the room and refraining from thinking about her attic under the roof, Alex put the trunks down and hung the coat travel that the Prince had left on the handle in the wardrobe. She added logs in the fireplace - despite the scorching temperature, the nights could be freezing- and again crossed the hallway at full speed before going down the stairs.

Suddenly, she was hit by a bag on the head. Molly just remind her that she was not only to service customers but also her stepmother and her stepsisters.

Molly indicated the floors above with a meaningful glance. Alex picked up the purse that had fallen to the ground and shuffled her feet upstairs.

It was exactly the twelfth time today she climbed those stairs. Sometimes when daydreaming, she imagined a lift system that could have transported her almost immediately to the desired floor. But her logical mind took over: if such a machine was invented and installed at the saloon, it would be her, Alex, who would have to operate the ingenious system with the strength of her arms.

She entered the room of her stepmother, cast a scornful glance at the luxurious fabrics that decorated the walls, royally ignored the dressing table covered with makeup accessories and threw the bag on one of the chairs that furnished the room. With a sigh, Alex remembered that in the rush of the day, she had not cleaned up Rachel and Jane's room and she had not even brought up the clothes that she washed.

She went down again to the laundry room, then up to the saloon's two largest rooms whicgh happened to be the only two ones on the fourth floor. Alex kicked the door to open, as much for convenience (she was carrying an armful of clothing) than to vent her bad mood.

With a groan, she put away the dresses in Jane's room as quick as possible, made up Rachel's bed. She was preparing to go help in the kitchen when her dark eyes caught the gold framed mirror next to Rachel's bed.

-I got two minutes, she whispered.

She took of her hat, threw it without consideration on the blue quilt from the bed and undid her pony-tail. Her black hair came undone without difficulty and she smiled, feeling the thick dark curls falling over her shoulders and reaching to her waist.

She looked rarely into a mirror. First, because she did not have any, then because after hearing Molly repeating «you are very ugly" throughout her childhood, she had no desire to check herself that statement.

Yet, seeing herself in the mirror, with her long shiny hair, her high cheekbones and dark almond shaped eyes, she could not help thinking that maybe Molly was wrong.

-Anyway, she murmured to herself, what would it serve me to be beautiful? I have no need to impress a man or want to be admired. Besides when you're beautiful, you must pay attention to your hairstyle, your manners; you must be cute -which I hate. I prefer a hundred times to ride like a man rather than riding sidesaddle, I prefer ponytails to hairpin-style hair, and my simple hat to me is more useful than those hats, overburdened with feathers, that Rachel and Jane wear. Still, it must be said that I wouldn't mind having a beautiful dress these days ...

The characteristic sound of a door opening pulled Alex away from her thought. Two girls approximately her age were entering the room. They rushed to her in a fabric rustling sound.

-Look Rachel, said Jane. Here is Alex pretending to be a girl!

Alex turned to Jane. She was the prettiest of the two sisters with light brown curly hair, gathered in a complicated hairstyle, that framed her cheerful face lit by beautiful gray eyes. As beautiful as she was, she was also the meanest one to Alex. Usually generous and empathetic with others, she always had a cutting remark to throw to Alex, an insult to dedicate to her. Rachel, less strong in character, was content to approve and trump.

And this time did not depart from the rule.

-Oh yes, you're right, she sneered. Say Alex, we are not bothering you, are we?

Alex looked at Rachel. One year older than her sister, shorter and thinner also, she had a pretty face with brown eyes, framed by hair that had the exact platinum blond shade than Molly's. Her size, big eyes and smile, made her look like a doll, confirmed when paying attention to her romanticism and cuteness.

-You can always look at yourself in a mirror, it will not make you prettier, she said, ostensibly smoothing her long purple skirt with luxurious embroidery. And even if you would be watchable, you would not get to our level: mother told us (they called Molly that way in public for more importance and nobility) that with our beauty and our elegance we could marry a prince! A prince, you hear?

-Leave it alone, Rachel, Jane replied haughtily. The only husband a servant can claim is a horse-keeper!

Cheeks burning, Alex put her hair back in a pony tail, took her hat and left in a dignified stroll, not without having graced the sisters with a murderous look. Jane and Rachel were still giggling when Alex inadvertently tripped on the carpet and fell on Rachel. Alex, with her strong personality, did not say a word, although the pressure on her leg felt as she had broken her ankle. The blonde girl, however, let out a shrill cry that drew Molly's attention.

-What is happening in here?

Always fearing for her two treasures, she climbed upstairs so quickly that Alex and Rachel were still on the floor when she arrived.

-Alex tried to hurt Rachel, Jane lied, pointing to her half-sister.

For good measure, Rachel began to cry. Between sobs, she cried:

-Punish her, Mom! Punish her!

-My poor darlings, exclaimed Molly.

She gently lifted Rachel, who was still pretending to cry, and laid her on the bed? In passing she crushed Alex's fingers of Alex with high-heeled boots.

-Oh, my poor Rachel, quickly dry your tears, I promise that we'll sure that servant will not do it again. Here. Fix yourself up ... you should not have puffy eyes tonight. Go and rest.

She kissed her daughter on the cheek and turned menacingly towards Alex who was getting back up.

-And you, she said, I'll teach you to ruin my treasures. You're not staying at the saloon tonight. We'll manage without you, but I do not want to see you in the same room as Jane and Rachel. You might make them trip up at such an important moment! Disappear! I'll call you when you can come back.

Alex stared back at the icy blue eyes of Molly. Saluting with as much impudence as possible, she left the room.

Without paying attention, she went down the grand staircase. She was used her stepsisters' lies, but she was angry to be deprived of a party, which could have been fun despite being forbidden to dance. Being insolent with her stepmother was the only resistance she could afford, and tonight that was not enough. She was close to tears.

Down the steps, she stumbled against someone who seemed to want to go up. She moved aside and looked up. It was the Prince.

-I Thought I heard voices, he said worriedly. Are you ok?

-Uh, well, it's just ... she mumbled, mesmerized by the Prince's captivating gaze.

-A Problem with Mrs. Brown?

Alex turned around quickly. Molly stood behind her and glared at her. No doubt she thought she wanted to gain favor with the prince.

-I have to go, said Alex as she fled.

Anything rather than suffer that.

-Wait!

The prince caught up with her.

-Will you be at the ball tonight?

-No, sorry, whispered Alex politely, she had only one desire, get away.

-Oh ... I'm sorry for you. I'm afraid I'll be bored without your presence you know ...

-It's nice, but my presence at this ball is impossible, snapped Alex as she was leaving.