Chapter 8: First Day

Start from the beginning

Lorenzo opened the door for me. Slowly, I walked inside and was amazed by the office. The office was pretty big with the company logo above the desk. The room was spotless. The furniture made me feel like I was in a office building and not an apartment.

From the desk, Adrian looked at me dead in the eyes. I started to feel my legs shake. I didn't move my eyes away from Adrian. Adrian got up from his chair and walked over to me. I wanted to move a step back but, my legs were paralyzed by fear.

Once he stood in front of me, I looked straight at his chest. I was too afraid to look at him. "What did I say about bothering me?" he asked to me in a stern tone. His tone felt heavy on my shoulders and made my heart drop.

I couldn't open my mouth. "Look up at me when I speak to you," he said to me. He didn't change the tone of his voice. I took a shaky breath and looked up at him. When our eyes met, I completely froze and tense.

I could see the annoyance and anger in his eyes. "Let me ask one last time. What did I say about bothering me?" he asked me. His annoyance and anger were growing by the second. I forced myself to speak without controlling my fear.

"Y-you said t-t-to not b-bother you," I said to him. "Exactly," he said to me. He took the cup of coffee and the plate bagels off the tray. "Now get out. Don't bother me ever again got it," he said to me. I nodded my head quickly and walked out of his room.

I set the tray in the kitchen and made my way back into my room. Once in my room, I sat on the bed and felt tears fall from my eyes. I let out a deep breath that I had kept inside myself from my encounter with Adrian.

Why did I have to pair with him? He scares me so much.

I looked at my hands to see them shaking. I held my hands together and tried to calm my nerves down.I closed my eyes and thought about my grandparents. They wanted me to have a better life than my parents and my brother.

The question was...was this a better life.

I could see the ups and downs of this marriage. In the end, I decided that I wanted a life where I didn't have to displease my husband. I shouldn't have to fear anything as long as I followed the rules that he had set for me.

Follow the rules Vera. You can live through this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been a few hours since my encounter with Adrian. As far as I knew, by the time I left the apartment, Adrian was already gone to his work in the city. I had planned to go to the bank and to the grocery store today.

Right now, I had just gotten out of the bank. I managed to get my bank account transferred from San Francisco and gotten a new credit and debit card under my maiden name. Even though I had a credit card from Adrian, I rather use my money than to use his fortune to buy things.

Walking down the street, I could see the difference between San Francisco and New York. New York was super busy with people and traffic. People were walking up and down the street while they talked on their phones, walked their dog, or listened to their music.

It felt different. I started to miss San Francisco more. I missed the slow relax feel of the neighborhood. I missed the air of the bay. I knew that I would have to get used to New York and it's business.