Chapter 9: Rumpelstiltskin (Part One)

"We often confuse what we wish for with what is." –Neil Gaiman

***

            "Um, Deadshot? Someone's at the door!" Sahara shouts.

            Elly furrows her eyebrows. She grabs her bow in case it's Pan or a Lost Boy and swings the door open. It is not a Lost Boy or Peter Pan but an eccentric man. His hair is stringy and grayish-brown, and his skin looks like he has eternal goosebumps. He sports a red leather jacket that is longer than most jackets and leather pants with combat boots.

            "Can I help you?"

            "Are you Elly Ender?" he asks, pointing a finger in her direction. Elly nods slowly. "Could I have a word?"

            "Do you wanna tell me your name first?" Elly asks.

            The man bows with a sweeping gesture. "Rumpelstiltskin, deary."

            Realization strikes Elly. This is the deal guy. After assuring the girls that everything is alright, she closes the door behind her as she steps out onto the deck.

            "Talk."

            Rumpelstiltskin laughs. "What's going on with Peter Pan?"

            "He's just being an idiot as usual," Elly replies, narrowing her eyes. "Why? What do you know about him?"

            He giggles again. "More than you can imagine. Has he been bothering you?"

            Elly shifts her weight to her other foot. "Maybe a little. Why?"

            "You sure ask a lot of questions."
             "Well you just showed up—"

            "Okay, okay. I know why Peter is acting this way."

            "Really?" Elly raises an eyebrow. "Enlighten me."

            "You're feisty," Rumpelstiltskin comments. "I believe that Peter Pan is acting like this because he has feelings for you."

            Elly falters. "Excuse me?"

            "You know, romantic feelings!"

            Elly is the one to laugh now. "You're joking."

            Rumpelstiltskin frowns. "I am not. Ponder it, deary. I'm just telling you something useful. Too-da-loo." He disappears. Elly steps back inside with a furrowed brow and a new thought clouding her thoughts.

            "What did he want?" Joro asks, making Elly jump.

            Once she makes sure everyone is listening, Elly reveals what Rumpelstiltskin told her.

            "Pan likes you?" Cyanide asks from the couch. "I can see it."

            "No, guys, he doesn't," Elly denies. "It's crazy. He can't love."

            "What makes you think that?" Bubbles asks.

            Elly stutters. "He's Pan! He can't—he doesn't feel things. He's heartless and cold."

            Sahara grins. "I think you're just blind to the romantic side of him because you haven't seen it."

            "I haven't seen it because it doesn't exist," Elly snaps. "He doesn't like me. He banished me."

            Joro shrugs. "I'd keep an open mind. Just in case it's true." The others agree, and to satisfy them, so does Elly.