Chapter 16

"Jas, guess what!!" Emery exclaims as I pick up the phone a few days later.

"What?" I answer groggily, having just woken up from a nap.

"I got tickets to the XFactor finale!" My brain goes silent as I jump out of bed. It's as if everything running through my mind just ran away. "I mean, I know you watch it all the time... you're mom told me you practically watch it religiously. I thought it would be nice if we went."

"Oh, wow, thank you so much," I blurt out. "I have to go now but maybe we can go out tonight?" We make plans and hang up. I fall back onto my bed as my head drops into my hands.

One week later, I'm standing in front of my closet deciding what to wear.

I sift through everything at least ten times before I finally settle on a black oversized sweater with strategically placed holes along the back, skinny jeans, and Timberlands.

On the way to the studio, I can't stop cracking my fingers, tapping them along the window. I can't stop tapping my right foot, wiggling my toes inside my boots.

"Jas, calm down," Emery chuckles from next to me in the driver's seat.

"What? What do you mean?" I try to keep my voice from shaking.

"You haven't stopped fidgeting the whole drive. Are you that excited for the show?"

"Oh, uh, yeah," I lie as I plaster a smile on my face.

"Who's your favorite act left?" He tries to make conversation.

"I don't know, um, well I guess my favorite was Belle Amie but they're not in the finals. So," I stumble, "I don't know, I guess I like Rebecca the best out of the top three."

The car goes silent after that. I'm not very good at making conversation and I'm not making it very easy for him to do so.

Eventually, after what feels like forever, we pull into the studio parking lot. There are cars everywhere. It takes about fifteen minutes to find a spot, and when we finally do, the show is almost about to start.

"Jas, come on," we rush in through security as he hands me my ticket.

I look at the ticket. Shit. Second row.

We take our seats as Dermot O'Leary comes out on stage. "Welcome to finals week," he booms through the microphone. He introduces each judge even though it's been the same judges for the past three months.

One Direction comes on first, performing Your Song by Elton John.

I watch the way they move around the stage, the way their mouths move as they sing, the way their eyes light up during their respective solos. Okay, yeah, I've moved on.

Before I know it, the song's over, and Dermot is standing beside them asking how they feel they did. Louis's eyes scan the crowd as he brings his microphone to his lips. As I sink down in my seat trying to shrink away, his face goes rigid. His right arm holding the microphone drops back down to his side as he nudges Harry and nods in my direction.

I must've tuned everything out at that point because suddenly the five of them are walking off as Dermot announces the next performer. I see Louis and Harry telling Zayn, Niall, and Liam what they saw with wide eyes as the moths in my stomach start flapping their wings.

We sit through the rest of the show until it finally ends and we rush out to beat the traffic.

A few minutes later, as we're making our way to the car, I hear someone calling my name, "Jasmine!"

"Shit," I mutter under my breath as I turn around to see the five boys standing just a few yards away.

"You know them?" Emery whispers in my ear.

"Uh," I hesitate, "yeah."

"What are you doing here?" Louis plasters a grin on his face.

"My boyfriend got tickets," I try to stay cool as I put my arm around Emery.

"Oh cool, where'd you meet?" Liam acts interested.

"You know Sharlit." As Harry, Niall, Liam, and Louis nod, I tell them that she introduced us.

"Are you gonna introduce us?" Harry smirks.

"I'm Emery," he says before I get to it.

"Harry."

"Niall."

As we fade to an awkward silence, realization crosses Liam's face. "Zayn, you've been awfully quiet."

"Huh?" he looks up from staring at the gravel.

"You haven't said a word this whole time," Harry catches on.

"Oh, uh, yeah, I'm just tired."

"Bullshit. This is who you've been sneaking out with, isn't it?" Louis questions as Niall finally grasps what's going on with a gasp.

Zayn looks at me for help as Emery turns to look at me, "What are they talking about, babe?"

"We're just friends. Don't worry about it," I whisper back.

"Just friends my ass. Why was it such a secret if you're just friends?" Louis's face is getting red fast.

"Maybe because you guys hate her and would hate me too if you knew I was still talking to her," Zayn finally gets the confidence to speak up.

"This is such bullshit!" Louis starts to storm off before Emery grabs his shoulder ready to defend me.

"What are you talking about, man?"

"Oh, you don't know what she did? No wonder you're actually dating her!"

"I made a mistake! I'm sorry! Do you have to ruin every possible relationship for me because of it?! It's not your business who I talk to anymore!"

"What the hell are you talking about?" Emery and Louis are just about at each other throats, veins about to pop.

"Nothing. Let's go."

"You can explain to him what you did to all of us. And get the hell out of my sight." The other boys watch Louis in awe as he screams at me.

"You guys are the ones who came running out here after us. I will gladly get out of your sight," the adrenaline rushes through me as Emery and I turn back towards his car.

"What the hell were they talking about?" Emery asks as we pull out of the parking lot.

"I'll tell you later," I mumble as I fall asleep leaning against the car door.

A/N: I am honestly so so so sorry it's been so long! I wanted to make this chapter longer to make up for it but then I decided I'd rather post a shorter chapter sooner than wait even longer! Anyway, I have midterms in a couple weeks so I probably won't be able to update before then but I'll try! And this story is coming to a close soon! I'm so excited, I love this story but I'm excited to get started on some other ideas I have!