Chapter 33 - I'll Get By (As Long As I Have You)

Start from the beginning

She hesitated for a moment, and then surprised him by stepping forward to hug him. He knew people were probably watching, but he didn't care. He wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. "If you're late I'll wait up for you," he said into her hair.

"Don't, Johnny," she murmured, her face buried in his shirt. "You're so busy. You need your sleep."

"Okay," he said, even though it would be impossible to sleep without her. But he knew he shouldn't say it. He didn't want to make her leave Annie's if they needed her.

"I'll see you later," she said, letting go of him with sad eyes.

"If they need anything, let me know."

"I will."

He opened the car door for her, and heard Douglas call from inside. "Daddy!  Hi!"

"Hello, Douglas," Jonathon said bending low to greet him.

Douglas was on Annie's lap, and when she saw Jonathon, she quickly turned her head away and wiped her tears.

"You go with mommy," he said as Helen climbed in the back seat.

"Daddy, no!" Douglas said, trying to crawl to him, but Helen pulled him to her.

"You go with mommy and I'll see you later," he said, trying to sound cheerful. "Bye," he said, waving, knowing it was a game Douglas enjoyed playing with him.

Douglas excitedly waved back. "Bye bye!"

Jonathon closed the door and waited as the Duesenberg's engine turned and it drove away. Please let this war be over soon, he thought with a sigh. When it was gone, he turned to the building.

~~

Even before they got to the church, Jonathon and Helen passed groups of people dressed in their best clothes on the sidewalk, all heading in the same direction as the Duesenberg.

"There sure are a lot of people turning out for the funeral," Jonathon mused as James parked at the curb in front of the small white clapboard church. "It looks like half the town is here."

"I'm not surprised," Helen said. "Annie's mother has done a lot of work for people, between her baking, sewing, and taking in laundry."

James opened the rear door and as Jonathon climbed out, a memory came to him. He was having ice cream with Billy at Dwyer's Drugstore, and Annie was there, picking up shirts for her mother to mend with Helen and a young brother and sister in tow.

He did a wary scan of the people on the sidewalk before helping Helen and Douglas out of the back seat. "Can you wait for me at the door?" he said to Helen. "I need to talk to James."

"Alright," she said, shifting Douglas on her hip.

While she climbed the front steps, Jonathon took another quick look around and then leaned close to James. "I think Dwyer could show up," he said in a low voice. "I need you to keep an eye out for him. Don't make a scene, but if he tries something, if he tries to get near Helen or Douglas, I need you to stop him."

"Aye, sir," James said, his eyes hardening with determination.

"Leave the car here and go in ahead of us."

James didn't even wait to reply. He took the stairs two at a time and tipped his hat as he passed Helen, disappearing into the building.

"That's so nice he's attending," Helen said when Jonathon reached her. "Annie will appreciate it."

"I'll take Douglas," Jonathon said, holding his hands out, and Douglas leaned towards his reach.

"Thanks.  He's getting so heavy these days," Helen said, letting go of him with obvious relief and straightened her dress.