Whispers

All my life I've heard people calling me, I've been told it's a sign of intelligence, but it's always creeper me out. It usually would just be my name and nothing else, when no one was home, or if someone was they hadn't called me. When I was really young I just thought I was a bit crazy, as I got older I figured it was just my imagination, and I'd always just forget the situation, but there was one time that I'll always remember.

I was around nine and my family and I lived in a small apartment in Everett. My little brother was about four and in a very needy phase and always wanted to be around me. I was in the stage of wanting everyone to leave me alone, like an early beginning to my teenage years, so naturally I found my little brother extremely annoying and wanted to stay away from him.

One morning at about 7:30 I was awoke by the sound of my little brother clapping his hands and repeating the words, "Wake up sissy," over and over again. I opened my eyes slowly and laid there for a few minutes still half asleep listening to my brother call my name. After a while I was finally awake enough to sit up and yawn glancing to my door way. As I looked over I heard him run down the hall and I rolled my eyes in irritation as I slowly slipped out of bed and walked out into the living room.

Many years of pursuing my love for horror movies with my father and left me rather paranoid, so I tucked my feet in under me as I sat down in the only chair that made me able to see down the full length of the hallway and I pulled out a book, reading as I waited for my little brother to walk out and pretend to have been sleeping.

"Can you get him out of the bed, please?" My dad asked my mom, sounding rather tired since he'd just gotten home from work an hour prier.

"No just let him sleep." My mother replied and I thought quietly to myself. Him? Liam? I shook my head slightly in disbelief and astonishment. He must have just gotten back in bed with them.

Later that day, I was sitting wit my mother. "Mom did Liam sleep with you all night?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Are you sure? He didn't get out of bed around 7:30 this morning?"

"No, why?"

"I just thought I saw him this morning, must have just been my imagination I guess." That was the last time we talked about it, even though I thought about it very often. It was very odd to me to think that what I know I'd heard wasn't him. Who else could it have been?