part eighteen

Sometimes, Marlene would get angry with Sirius for the stupidest reasons, and this week had been no different. Lily watched them as she tried to finish her essay, but watching Sirius slave over Marlene while he tried to figure out what he had done wrong was simply too funny to Lily, Remus and Emeline. The three would joke that Sirius became a house elf during these times, running around following orders. Lily loved how Sirius now reacted to these angry outbursts that commonly came from Marlene, and she had expected there to be many more as Marlene's hormones stabled themselves, and had warned Sirius prior to this. He had nodded and listened but Lily was sure most of what she had said went straight over Sirius' head. He would nod, 'Yes, I remember now, thank you Lily!' But she knew better.

Lily and Marlene still laughed about Sirius' misunderstandings of periods, "What do you mean it lasts a week?", "Every month?", "Cramps?" He had been taught little to nothing in his family home growing up, and as a result had only heard little mutterings from other disgusted boys in younger years, until Marlene.

Marlene shifted in her seat then glanced out of the window at the rainy spring day, she sighed loudly again as Sirius stood in front of her.

"Are you okay Mckinnon?" Sirius asked willingly, though his face showed that maybe he didn't want to receive the answer.

Sirius had learned that asking Marlene, Lily or any other girl he knew if they were okay would most likely lead to a scenario he would most definitely dislike. But Sirius had also learned that with the war raging on, the women who surrounded him were incredibly strong, and brave. He didn't doubt that they, like him were terrified yet they continued to fight the ever growing dark forces and it was this determination that had led him to admire the girls.

As a young boy Sirius had seen them as easy victims of pranks, or silly little girls who were so easily upset. But the little boy had then gone on to grown up with the girls and could now never doubt that he had been undoubtedly wrong.

Sirius would next disrespect girls and merely see them as objects of which he lacked affection and used at his disposal. But as Sirius fell for Marlene and that all changed. He now knew how much stronger they were, and was often left speechless at their willingness to fight, to help save innocent lives. Girls would plow on even when James and Sirius would be left with no answers. He had watched in admiration as girls took strength from each other in different ways to boys. He, James, Remus and Peter helped each other sure, Sirius had given up so much time to spend with Remus when he was in need, and he never regretted it. But girls were different, they could understand each other so easily it scared him, they didn't even need to speak to each other to conclude something very different from what Sirius and James would ever be capable of. They would silently communicate sure, but this was insane. James might sense Sirius was upset and ask what's wrong. But Lily would sense Marlene is upset and know what was wrong.

He saw this silent communication now as he watched Marlene glance at Lily, who had barely written two lines in the last ten minutes. Lily shrugged and Sirius watched more confused than ever. When he looked at Marlene he saw that her eyes were right on his, she held out her hand.

"Help me up Black."

Sirius did as he asked, unsure Marlene was about to punch him or kiss him. But she did neither.

"I could really do with a nap." And she led him to the boys dormatories, confusing Sirius.

"Why our dorms? You always choose the girls, it's way closer to-"

"Doe and Rem are in there." She said, cutting him off as she raised her eyebrows.

"How could you possibly know that?" Sirius asked in disbelief. "I've been with you all day, and you haven't seen her!"

"No, but I was watching Lily and her eyes followed someone across the common room, which she hardly ever does as she's much more discreet than that and way too polite to stare. So I turned around and saw Doe and Rem holding hands giggling heading up to our dorm, and just before the door shut, when Rem couldn't see Doe winked at us both." Marls said, very simply. "And if you can't understand what that means then-"

"Yes, yes, yes, I get it Mckinnon."

They had just reached the boys dorms, and Sirius made his way to his bed expecting Marlene to follow, he heard the door lock behind him.

"Woah Mckinnon I thought you said you wanted a nap?" Sirius said shocked by his girlfriend's behaviour. She grinned back  

AN:

Please vote if you're enjoying this it motivates me to write more!

S xxx