Epilogue

Six months later, on a warm June day, Lela stood in a room the size of her family’s entire house, and stared at her reflection in the mirror. The white dress that she was wearing was the most extravagant creation that she had ever seen. The wide bell skirt, with a long train, was embroidered with diamonds and the lace that edged it was the fine, delicate and intricate. The bodice closed tightly around Lela’s hips and waist, slimming her straight figure while at the same time making her small curves appear even shapelier. The low, but modest, neckline connected with poufy sleeves that tightened at her elbow and tapered off at her hands.

Lela’s honey-red hair was swept up in the most stunning of arrangements. White flowers were intertwined in her braids, and diamond studded hair clips held everything in place. The veil that covered Lela’s face was embroidered with silver thread in intricate patterns.

“You look stunning,” Lela’s mother informed her, with tears in her eyes, “You are such a beautiful bride.”

“I can’t believe it’s happening,” Lela beamed with excitement, “I couldn’t have wished for anything more, although I never did want a large wedding.”

The doors to the room opened as a flurry of activity and excitement descended on Lela and her mother. The bridesmaids had arrived. Colianna had already been married to the prince of Cora and hadn’t been able to return for her brother’s wedding, but Lela and Nicolai still had four sisters between them. Shalieanna, Andrianna, Sasha, and Malia were all dressed in beautiful bright pink, accented with royal blue, bridesmaid’s dresses.

Lela looked in pride and affection on her sisters, glad that her entire family had been able to make the journey to Kalaan in order to attend her wedding.

“Here,” Sasha said, as she handed Lela a large, trailing bouquet of pink and blue flowers, “Now if you don’t move until it’s time, you should be perfect.”

“You look gorgeous, Lela,” Shalieanna complimented her.

“Thanks. I feel so extravagant though. I’ve never worn anything like this before.”

“You’ll get used to it,” Shalieanna commented.

“Nicolai seems so sure that I’ll be able to fit in just fine, but I feel so out of place sometimes. Especially when it comes to dresses like this and such public ceremonies.”

“Don’t worry. You’ll be fine. Nicolai’s already been parading you around the nobles, and you’ve been doing wonderfully. And about today’s ceremony, it’s all about you. Don’t even think about all the people. Pretend that it’s just you and Nici and anyone else that you would have invited to your own small wedding.”

“It’s time,” Nicolai’s mother, the Queen Shoreina glided regal into the room behind her daughters, Johhin appearing behind her.

“Ready Lela?” he asked as he offered her his arm.

Lela nodded, swallowing nervously, as she took Johhin’s proffered arm. He led her down the hallway, and they stood to the side as the prelude began and first her mother and the queen, and then her bridesmaids slowly waltzed down out of view.

The first strains of the bridal march drifted to her ears. Clutching Johhin’s arm for support, she stepped in to the massive church, and hundreds of eyes immediately focused on her. She took in the crowd, panicking for a brief moment before she looked up to the front of the church, her gaze glance off Derik, Prince Calines, Jorany and Roald, and focused on Nicolai’s face. He was staring at her with a look of wonder and love, and the moment that her eyes locked with his, she forgot about the crowd around her. He was why she was here. And she let Johhin led her up to her prince.

The ceremony passed in a blur, she could barely focus on anything the priest said. She was too excited, too happy to focus. They exchanged vows, and then Nicolai reached down and kissed her softly and sweetly, for everyone to see.

And as Lela stood next to her husband, the prince of Kyra, Nicolai, she realized that she had finally made it to her happily ever after. After all of the events that had shaped her life throughout the last three years, they life had led her to this place. To Nicolai, to happiness. And it dawned on her that, if she hadn’t disguised herself to join the army, she never would have met her true love. The man that she never wanted to be parted from. But beyond that, she may never have discovered herself. She knew without doubt that the last three years had changed her from an idealistic, naïve and sheltered farm girl, into a confident, battle tried, still idealistic, princess and wife. Lela knew that her trials weren’t over, that life would never be simple and easy, but she was ready for it. She had survived so much already, and whatever lay ahead for her in the future, right now she was content. She was more than content, she was glowing with happiness.

“I love you, Mrs. Roshian, princess of Kyra,” Nicolai leaned over and whispered in her ear.

“And I love you, my prince.”