Chapter 19 - Caught in the Middle

Почніть із самого початку

"I tried to tell you what was happening. I tried to warn you." Peter picked Derek up by the back of his leather jacket and tossed him through the receptionists window, the glass shattering all over the floor. 

I couldn't take it any longer. Derek was struggling, he couldn't even get back to his feet. I ordered for Stiles to stay put as I ran to the werewolf's aid. "Derek!" I called as I found him in an empty room. He sat himself up against a metal table, Peter standing in front of us.

I placed my hands on both of his arms, watching as the purple liquid coursed from his veins and into mine. He was too beaten too stop me. He knew he didn't have much of a choice.

A chilling laugh came from Peter. "Aren't you glad I gave you such a wonderful gift, Emma?"

I glared at him with every ounce of hate I had built up inside of me. "You killed them,"

"I had my reasons." He said, wearing a smirk. "Now, since I was gracious enough to save your life with such a wonderful ability, I think it is time that you repay me."

"No, no, NO!" I yelled as he moved towards me. He grabbed me by the wrist, pulling me up with great force. On anyone else, his grip would have left a very visible bruise.

"Don't...touch her..." said Derek, still fighting and out of breath.

Peter gave a cold smile. I knew what he wanted, and I knew that I didn't want to do it. Though I don't have much of a choice. He yanked my hand up to his face, slowly nearing it to the right side of his cheek, over his burn scars.

"No, no!" I continued. I tried fighting my way out of his grip, but he was too strong. I was no match for an alpha. It felt like I had stuck my hand straight into a flame. My skin burned and I screamed in pain as I healed his wound. Tears now stained my cheeks as I continued to wail.

"Emma!" Stiles shouted, running into the room. Peter shoved me away from him, Stiles catching me as I collapsed into his arms. My entire body was weak. I felt even worse than I had when I was trying to heal Derek's wolfsbane bullet wound. I was drained of energy.

Peter was examining his newly healed face in a mirror. His skin was now smooth and clear. You would never even know he was a survivor of a fire. Not a single scar covers his body. He is at full power. 

"Now, Derek," said Peter, walking past Stiles and me to stand in front of Derek. "You have to give me a chance to explain. We are family, after all."

  ☼ 

Stiles and I made our way through the hallway that leads to the boys locker room, both still shaken up. Multiple lacrosse players kept pushing past us chanting, "State! State! State!" Stiles tried clearing them away from me as best he could.

"Looks like you won then," I said to him. 

"Yeah, yeah I guess we did."

I could tell he was upset that he missed the game. It was his first chance to start, to play first line and prove to Coach Finstock that he's a worthwhile player. It was his goal this season to make first line, and I'm sure to actually play it as well. 

I grabbed his hand and placed my other on his arm in comfort. "You'll get another chance,"

He sighed and shook his head. It pained me to see how much he lacked confidence. It's not like him. He's so outgoing, so happy. I stopped walking and pulled him to stop as well and face me.