Elric spoke up now. "I know that both of you are tired, but there is a bit more to address." Elric's gaze settled on Gregory. "You have displayed an uncanny knack for bringing your fellow trainees together. You have the potential to become a great leader one day. This is where my focus lies. I will be training you, one on one, just as Adam will be doing with Rene."

Gregory's eyes widened and an excited grin crossed his face. But this time, he kept quiet, sensing that Elric had more to say.

"It is also standard practice, for us to pair up new graduates, for their live training. We have decided that the two of you should be paired up. We think that each of you could learn a lot from one another." Elric looked over at Adam then back at Rene and Gregory.

"Under normal circumstances, we would simply have made that choice, once you reached your new training destination. But Adam has a feeling....a very strong feeling that there will be complications between now and our arrival. He feels that starting the two of you, working together now, may help to mitigate any problems that arise. Over the years, I have been Adam's battle partner and have learned to trust his 'feelings.'

Rene and Gregory shot each other querying looks. They both wondered just what kind of complications he could mean.

"We have already arranged for your things to be moved to the room across from Rene's, Gregory."
Adam was speaking again. Rene's neck was starting to ache from turning side to side, following this volleying conversation between the two masters. "Your assignment as battle partners takes effect, now. You are expected to stay in sight of each other, at all times. If you are questioned about this at the temple, explain to them, that you are battle partners. Even the Arch Bishop will be required to honor this fact."

Gregory's voice was unsteady now, as he began to realize that his, day of rest, would have to be coordinated with Rene's activities. "Uhm, Sirs, does this apply to our down time too?"

Elric picked it right up. It was clear that Elric and Adam knew each other so well, that they could naturally coordinate their conversations."I'm sorry Gregory, Yes. The only time you are to leave one another's sight, is for bathing and changing. Even then, you must know exactly where your partner is. You will learn that modesty does not serve well, on the battlefield. As for tomorrow, we know that your parents are not in the city. That means that you will be available, to attend Rene's visitation with her parents."

Gregory's head hung a bit. He had clearly wanted to do something else, on his day of rest. He took a deep breath and straightened his posture and nodded at Elric, acknowledging his role.

"We do understand your disappointment, Gregory. Do not suspect that this is any easier for Rene. We are sure that she would much rather, run about town, having her own bit of fun, before the serious issue of military service takes any opportunity for this away. But both of you must trust in our judgement in this issue. Watching over one another is more important than either of you can understand yet." This was Adam..Rene almost expected them to start finishing each others sentences at this rate.

Rene had been sharing in Gregory's disappointment. She had wanted to go see her parents and her sister tomorrow and then bounce about town, saying goodbye to old friends. While this wasn't impossible, it would be very awkward with Gregory along. She barely knew him, and dreaded all of the 'Is he your boyfriend?' questions that she would get. She also had to consider how to accommodate, his need for a bit of fun, before heading out to war.

But she put those thoughts aside as she recalled how important the role of battle partner was. It served to make sure that a shield bearer always had somebody at their back, in battle and elsewhere. When on the field, a shield bearer's battle partner, was the one person, that would always pick up your shield, if it was knocked away from you. Rene had wondered, what her battle partner would be like, when she graduated. Now, it was time to get to know him.

Adam clapped his hands together, indicating that this session was over. "Now, go get some rest. Tomorrow will be your first opportunity to get to know one another."

Gregory took the lead, Rene started to follow and turned to Elric, one last time. "Sir, why were you laughing after your rushed me?" She had wanted to ask him, earlier, but so many things had happened to prevent it.

Elric's eyes lit up, and his laugh lines creased as he smiled a big smile. "I was laughing, because you are your father's daughter. I have many fond memories of training with him. Your father had some very creative moves that took many a trainer by surprise. I can honestly say, that you actually caught me by surprise. Be sure and tell him about that, he will be proud. Oh, and be sure and tell him that Adam and I miss having him in the ranks."

Rene nodded. "I will , sir." She fought back the wave of pride, his words had created. She was thrilled to know that she had outdone one of her trainers. But she also knew that, such a move might not work next time, especially since it had been observed, now. Others would be working out ways to overcome that tactic, already.

She caught up with Gregory, who stopped, unclear of where to go. Rene had always been housed separately from the male trainees, in the temple, because she was the only girl. She took his cue, "This way." She took the lead, taking him through the back side of the infirmary, into the sleeping quarters of the temple acolytes. She walked the maze of narrow hallways, turning right and then left, to her quarters, which were open, to the hallway, with an oil lamp lit on the table. Privacy was a luxury granted to the higher ranked priests, not the acolytes.

The small room across from hers, also had a lamp lit and shining from it's doorway. Gregory looked in, to see his duffle, sitting at the foot of the simple bed. The soft sounds of snoring echoed down the hallway. Everyone else was asleep, in this section. Gregory softly asked, "Where do we bathe?"

Rene, pointed to the end of the hall, where a single large wooden door stood with a lit lamp on the wall, next to it. "It is communal. All acolytes are required to take a vow of celibacy, during their training. It is considered a regular test of their faith and resolve to bathe with the opposite sex. Once, they earn the title of priest, they are granted private quarters with private baths. They are also permitted to marry and have children." Rene realized that she was over explaining things. But the questioning look on Gregory's face did not seem to ease.

"Uhm, I...Do we have to bathe together?" He was actually blushing.

Rene gulped down the chuckle that threatened to erupt at his awkwardness. She remembered how awkward she had felt for the first few months after being assigned to the acolyte quarters and having to share a bath. She would try not to bathe until everyone was asleep, so that only the bath attendant would be around to observe her nakedness. But after four years here, she had overcome those feelings of shame and become comfortable sharing the large bathing pool with others.

"Don't the barracks have a communal bath?" Rene didn't think this through before she said it and winced inside, when understanding struck her.

"Of course....but we were all...we were all men. It is different." Gregory looked absolutely terrified at the idea of sharing a bath with a Rene.

She sighed, trying to find the patience to approach this, safely. There would be times, when there would be little choice in this matter. They were battle partners. Elric's words echoed in her head. 'Modesty doesn't serve well, on the battlefield.'

Rene decided that now, wasn't the time to push this. She was too tired and was sure that he was too. "We can take turns tonight. There is only one entrance. I will stand at the door and wait for you to finish. Then you can stand and wait, while I bathe." Rene hoped that this would ease his mind.

He nodded. "Okay. That sounds good. But why don't you go first?"

Rene wanted to roll her eyes, but fought it. "Okay then."