Chapter 47

Sarah comes racing into my assigned stable where I'm dozing. "I'm sorry Scooter! She's always on my back at every race we go to! Please Scooter, forgive me!", Sarah sobs. I look at her confused. She obviously done something stupid or wrong, probably both. "We made a deal", Sarah continues,"We made a deal that if Miranda wins....she gets you". The world just stopped rotating when she said that. I go to live with that brat of girl. I almost thought I stopped breathing as I just stared at Sarah. She stares into my eyes. I see tears swell up. She comes over and holds my head in her hands and she stares closer into my eyes. "I'm an idiot, Scooter. I know that. This is the only way to keep her off of my back for the rest of my life. Scooter if you win this race we will stay together forever, the farm will be safe, she won't bother us anymore", Sarah says. I look away from her. I don't know how I feel. "Scooter, if you love me so much win this race, please?", she says quietly. I don't know if I do love her for using me to gamble and for keeping Miranda off of her back. I love her though for getting me through all of this crap. Sarah strokes my face lightly with her fingertips. She whispers softly,"I'm sorry". She walks out of stable. Her broad shoulders slumped forward and her face facing the ground. I have a lot of thinking to do. Win or loose it's my choice. Win- the farm is safe and my friends. Loose- the farm is to be closed down, my friends are to be sold and I have to go live in Miranda's racing yard for some sort of safety. Sarah just wants to make sure that I can still race. She did play cleverly and stupidly. I made a promise to Cara that I will do it for us. She loves Leona just as much as I love Sarah. I will race my heart out today. Win or loose, Sarah wants me safe. She knows that no matter how ridiculous Miranda is, she is clever enough to continue my racing career. I look out the stable door and listen to the neighing horses. "Oh, Calumbo. What do I do?", I whisper to myself.

I open my eyes when I hear Sarah and Leona walk into the stable. They have my tack. Is it that time already! Leona starts to tack me up while Sarah gives me another groom. Sarah is dressed in her racing jodhpurs with her initials on it. She is wearing leather boots with a red leather tint at the top. Leona puts the reins over my head and I open my mouth for her to insert the bit in my mouth. I chew on my snaffle playfully. The two girls fuss over my tack. "Sarah make sure that her number is on correctly! No! Her number isn't visible!", Leona fusses. "There! Now it is!", Sarah answers as she fixes my saddle and the racing numnah. "Wait no, Leona! We need to put on her breastplate!", Sarah says. "Just wrap a stirrup leather around her chest! Use it as a Jesus Strap!", Leona says back. "No! This will stop my saddle from slipping", Sarah explains. "Oh! I thought you wanted a Jesus Strap", Leona chuckles. "I think I will be okay. Scooter is a babysitter", Sarah says as she pats me on the shoulder. "Okay then, Scooter don't let Sarah fall", Leona says smirking. I think she means let her fall with that deadly look she's giving me. Sarah gives her a thump on the shoulder. The two of them tightened my girth and made sure that everything was secure. Next all we have to so is wait. Sarah leaves to go to the dressing rooms and the next time jockey and rider will see each other is when Sarah mounts my back in the parade ring. She was already weighed and is perfect. Leona gives me another groom and picks out my feet. She gives my hooves a good scrub with a hard brush and water. She dried my hooves and gave them a good coat of hoof oil. My feet look brand new. Leona smiles at at her work and takes me out for a walk.

Sarah's P.O.V
I'm after putting in my racing jersey. I sit in the changing room where Miranda and I sit opposite ends of the room. She stares coldly at me. "Please stop doing that?", I say. "You better not mess this up for me. I want your horse", she says as she crosses her legs. "You're maybe getting my horse Miranda because my stud will have to shut down. She loves to run and I know you will use her. I'm not doing it for your glory but for her", I snarl. "You really do love that animal. You want her safe and you want to see her run when you look at the TV", I nod. "I just want her to be safe, Miranda. If you do get her listen to her. She does speak to you. She will want to be your friend. That what this sport is for", I say. I look at Miranda's cold expression soften. The steward comes in to tell us it's time. I get up and let Miranda walk out the door in front of me. She still has the soft expression across her face.

Scooter's P.O.V

"Okay girl it's time", Leona says. I feel nerves. My legs shake as I stand behind all thirty horses that are racing today. I was given the number four so that's good enough. The racing stewards called my number and Leona and I walk past all the horses. Leona talks to me. The parade ring is crowded with people. I lift my head high at all the sounds. Leona cooes me. I really want Sarah on my back now. The men in farmers caps stare and points at their 'winner'. The women are all dressed up for ladies day. They wear really funny hats and dresses. They also point out their winner. I notice The Sky Princess one horse in front of me. I stare at her with hatred. Leona pats me.
The jockeys all walked down the stairs and they walk in front of the Grand National Cup. I see Sarah walk down last. She doesn't look at the cup. She doesn't care if she wins. She just wants me to be with her. She walks up to Leona and I. Leona gives her a leg up and she lands lightly in the saddle. "Any good horses?", Sarah asks Leona. "The Sky Princess, The Railway Girl, Nine Gallons, King's Steed. Any good jockeys?", Leona says. "A lot of English jockeys. Little Irish", Sarah answers.
We continue to circle the parade ring. Some people look at me and point at me. "Number Four is a young Irish Thoroughbred. Destination S", The commentator says. It feels good to hear that name after months of not racing. "Well bred mare. Has won a few races in her one year racing career. She has recovered from a leg injury. Hopefully she will give a good performance", he continues. Sarah scratches my wither. It feels comforting to have her on my back now.

Miranda's P.O.V.

Pathetic girl! Idiot. Giving away such a good horse. That horse will bring me all the glory. But, Sarah's words still echo my mind. That's what the sport is all about. Never mind. She thinks talking sense into me will change my mind on getting that runt of a mare. Mr.Hughes leads Peach around the parade. "You got the shots?", I ask quietly. He nods his head and sticks his hand in his pocket. "I'll give to Peach before you head out when no one is looking", he replies. I smirk. Brilliant. I'm definitely going to win this race today and get that mare. We walk out of the parade ring. I check my girth. We walk to an area where only the leaders can go. Mr.Hughes covers up the syringe with his farmers cap and he injects it with quick skill. He uses the cap to hit a pretend fly when a leader was walking by. "That will start to kick in, in five minutes", He says as he pats Peach. "Enjoy!", He says as he walks off and I give Peach a kick with my heels and we both go on out onto the racecourse, already with victory in my hands.

----------------------------------
Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter.
Love you guys a lot!
If your liking the book leave a comment or vote it means a lot!
I'll see ya's in the next chapter! ❤️🐴👍🏻