Chapter 9

Scooter's P.O.V.
Sarah seemed to be in a bad mood. I was worried when she came in the truck. I could feel her anger and loneliness. Like we were connected. I don't feel right either like I've lost something. I don't know. Sarah comes into me. 'Hello pretty girly'. She says politely. 'I hope your ready'. I am. I'm going to run. I really brightened up when I heard I was going to run soon. 'Good girl!'. Sarah said happily. 'Don't worry. That training hopefully will come to good use'. She says worryingly. I give a little whinny to her. I wanted to make sure she's comfortable. Sarah gives me another groom. She brushed every speck of dirt off. She stuck on my saddle and bridle.

Leona has me in the parade ring. I'm trying to look as good as possible. I hope Sarah will come out soon. I've got butterflies in my stomach. 'Number 6 is The Sky Princess. A long time Grand National Champion who still kept her record of winning by 32 strides here in Ireland'. The commentator says excited. 'Number 5 is Destination S. The Galway Races thinks she'll have a good racing year. We also think she'll do a good job today'. He says. Leona pats me and smiles. 'Oh, you will have a good racing year'. Leona says confidently.

Sarah's P.O.V.
The jockeys are all giving me faces. They're being weighed and given weights. Its my turn to be weighed. I couldn't be that bad. I'm doing sports all day, 24/7. I sat on the weighing scales. A jump jockey should weigh about 115 pounds including saddle. Im just a bit over it. Thank god. Scooter doesn't have to have weights on her. She's used to my weight. Perfect. Miranda is weighed and she's under 115 pounds. I really don't care. I am who I am. All that extra weight is muscle. Thats what mum would say. She was always in between 115 and 116 pounds. She was thin. She ran and swam a lot. I wish I could see her one more time. I'm brought back to reality when I hear that bitc - I mean... snob's voice. 'I'll beat you for sure today!'. She says harshly. 'Listen. I don't want to fight with you Miranda. O.K. Im sick of it. Can't we just make up and be friends'.I say with a smile on my face. 'Ugh. Thats complete crap your saying to me, Doherty.' She says coldly. Well, I tried. I'm trying to do whats right. But this cold hearted brat here just won't use her brain. If it's even there in her little head. God. Well, I guess enemies for life. 'Right jockeys! Helmets on and make your way to the parade ring!'. A man shouts.

Scooter's P.O.V.
Sarah's coming! Yay! 'How's the weight?'. Leona asks. 'Grand, a teeny bit over than average'. Sarah answers. 'That's grand.' Leona says brightly. I could feel no weights are on me. Thank god! I prefer Sarah's weight. She's not to light and not to heavy. She's perfect. She doesn't feel like a flea or a sack of potatoes. She's just right. Sarah puts a pin on her jersey. It's a little pin. It has little stainless steel racehorse with a jockey wearing a red jersey. I believe they're galloping to the finish at full speed. Nothing stopping them. The crowd cheering. I can just imagine it like that. I will make it become that. I hope. Sarah gives me pat and a scratch on my withers. We're waiting to be released out onto the big track. The jockeys pull their goggles down over their eyes. Sarah does it too. The gate is opened we all canter respectively out onto the course single file. The Irish National Anthem was playing. We reached the bottom of the field. Sarah was singing along with the anthem. She had her right hand over her heart. The other jockeys were doing the same thing. I stand square halted. Listening to the beat of the orchestral music. The jockeys started clapping once the anthem was over. Sarah gives me a pat. 'Right Scooter! From the start'. She says confidently. I snort. I look ahead of myself. Staring at the man with green flag. I stare and stare. I'm waiting to go.

Glic's P.O.V.
We're waiting for the race to start. We're all quite. Staring at the bright screen of the T.V. Scooter is just staring at the man with the green flag. She's waiting. The commentator starts to speak.
'Here we are with the fourth race of the day. The flag is raised and they're off. Blue Diamond is at the front of the herd. Followed by The Railway Girl, The Sky Princess, Golden Joy, Destination S, Irelands Pride, Bold Runner and Cold Morning. They all go clear over the first jump of the course. No time to loose. They're all in one bunch with Blue Diamond still leading the herd'.
I'm concentrating on Scooter. She's concentrating on her mount, place, take-off point. She's on the ball. She's developed quite a long stride for a small racehorse. She's in the middle of the herd still. Scooter is jumping like she never jumped before. She's jumping a fair height. I hope she does well. I look over Sammy. He looks over at me. I bet I look stupid now that I'm staring at him worryingly. He gives me a reassuring look. I feel better. I hope nothing bad goes wrong.

Scooter's P.O.V.
Jump! Land! Good. I can hear the horses muttering to themselves. I think. I hope it's not abuse being said to some other horse. Sarah has her fingers curled around my thin mane. She's riding brilliantly! She's keeping my balance 50-50. Telling me when to speed or slow. I'm coming to the next jump. I take off. I see cameras flashing as we all jump. Let's see if I can get a picture of just Sarah and I. Maybe on the homestretch. All the other horses are panting as we go by the grand stands. I hear the crowd screaming the numbers of the horses they bet on. Number 6 ,The Sky Princess, is being shouted the most. I see Leona. She's shouting stay in the middle, then push on! We gallop by the grandstands. Dirt being flicked from our fast, thundering feet. 'Move it mare!'. I look to my left. Crap! I'm boxed in! The gelding didn't look happy. He was galloping with a long collected stride. 'Today is my day, mare!'. He says panting. I just stare at him coldly. I jump over the hurdle. No-horse talks to me like that! I might be the smallest out of them all. But they don't know what they'll be seeing, once this race is finished. 'Listen lad. How about you let me out of the box, I'm in. If you do, you can run along with me to finish'. I say with a cute eye. He stares at me and he loses the thick, cold expression on his face. He moves more to left. I gallop out of the box and we race together. 'Thanks!'. I say shyly. 'No problem'. He says staring at me. 'What's your name?'. I ask pleadingly. 'My name is Bold Runner'. He says, still staring at me. Freak. 'Destination S'. I say looking ahead concentrating on jumping. We both gallop together. We are on the side of the grandstands. I see The Sky Princess ahead of me. I look at Bold Runner. I feel a smirk coming on. I gallop ahead him, sniggering. 'Where are you going! We had a deal!'. He says surprised. 'Haha! Never trust me again, ya stupid dope!'. I laugh back at him. I gallop beside The Sky Princess. We look at each other. She looks as thick as nails. We both look at the second last hurdle ahead of us. We near it at a gallop. We take off and land at the same time. She's onto me. I remember what 'Sir' said to me. Win more ahead of her this time. She looks at me. I look back. 'Oh no you don't'. She says rudely. I smirk. I feel Sarah give me rein and sit low in the saddle. 'Nice racing ya!'. I neigh to her. I lengthen my stride and accelerate, pushing with all the energy I've got left. We near the finish. The crowd screaming. I jump with everything I got. The cameras flashing. I got a picture for Sarah. I near the finish line, winning by one stride. I pass the finish. First place and a picture. I prick my ears towards the screaming crowd. Sarah pats me and pets me. 'You are one small, but mighty racehorse'. She says with a bright grin on her face. I nod my head up and down rapidly. I look over at The Sky Princess. She isn't happy at all. I look over at Bold Runner. I see his sad expression on his black, sweaty face. I start to feel bad for leaving him behind on the track.

--------------------------------------
Hey guys! I'm trying to update as much as possible. I got tests a few days before Christmas😡but I'll be grand. I'll be studying but don't worry I won't abandon the book. Never!
I hope your enjoying the book.
Don't forget to vote or comment. It would really mean a lot to me.😄😄😄
So I'll see ya's in the next chapter!!!
Good night guys!!