Click, click, click

Start from the beginning

"No, you're not the one to go." Abi said, still eying Dominic who was smiling up at her sweetly.

"Oh yes, I am." I took my mug in hand and marched past them. "I have to get going anyway."

"The meeting?" Abi asked, turning her head towards me.

"Yup. And I have fifteen minutes to make myself look trustworthy, so I guess it's the highest time for me to start doing something."

I motioned at my sweats and a baggy t-shirt.

"Are you sure?" Concern filled her gaze. "Because I can make him leave, you know."

She narrowed her eyes at Dom who sent her a kiss.

"I'm sure." I assured her. "I'd really like to not have to change and show up looking like a hobo but I need this job."

Abi nodded. Smiling slightly, she waved me goodbye and I reciprocated the gesture.

"Good luck." She said and I grinned in return. I think she was the only person in the world who always remembered to wish me luck.

Back in my room, I threw on some black jeans and a shirt, deciding there were the most elegant things I owned. Normally I cared more about the last year's snow than the clothes I wore but today I really needed to look serious. Today was day one of my trial in the local photography agency and it meant a lot to me.

A few weeks back, I discovered an ad saying they looked for new workers and organized some sort of competition. Volunteers were meant to show up today to sign up and get to know the details. I wasn't going to let the chance go - I've already exceeded my deadline for finding a job. And if this wasn't going to work out, I would probably end up as a waitress - which with my memory would be a disaster.

Waving Abi and Dom goodbye - they were currently indulged in some kind of a discussion. Again. I rushed out of the apartment and flew down the stairs. When I pushed the main door open, the wind immediately blew my hair all over my face. I've had it cut recently so that it was now barely reaching my collar bones. Looked and felt nice but when I pulled it into a ponytail, most of the hair escaped it anyway and ended up in my eyes, mouth, and nose. Not cool.

I made my way to the bus stop. I knew I could have used Abi's car but I tried avoiding doing it at all costs. I had a driving license but I wasn't a fan of driving - especially alone. I didn't like the feeling of being trapped in a vehicle without anyone beside me - that's why the buses were the best option for me. Sure, they were slower and less effective, and definitely less comfortable but hell with it. As long as they got me whenever I wanted, I wasn't complaining.

Getting to the agency took me barely fifteen minutes. When I arrived, I still had almost twenty minutes left but I wasn't the only one. There were already a few people in the waiting room, sitting in the chairs, flipping through the magazines or looking at the pictures and posters hanging on the walls. Casting a quick look around the room, I made my way to one of the empty chairs and sat down, laying my bag beside me.

The agency's name was Claine. I've googled it earlier last night, wanting to be ready for whatever was waiting for me here. Its activity was mainly focused around photography and graphic design. It designed book and magazine covers, all kinds of posters, banners, even websites. It also cooperated with a number of magazines and newspapers, providing them with front covers and general visuals. A perfect place to work, if you ask me, and quite a renowned one.

As time passed, more people gathered in the room. With every passing minute, I became more nervous. Not because I was afraid of them, but because I was becoming more and more aware of the number of my opponents. It was supposed to be a competition, which meant only one person was going to get in. And I desperately wanted to be this person.