Chapter Eleven

It didn’t last long, but it was enough. I’ve kissed plenty of girls before, but not quite like that. We each made our way home, she kissed my cheek before we separated, the way she always does now. I spent the rest of the night, laying awake just thinking of her. Always thinking of her.

    The next morning I went to her house but she didn’t answer the door. It was her mother, who slowly opened it with a warm smile.
    “Greyson, right?”
    “Yeah,” I smiled back.
    “I’ve heard a lot about you...good things of course. Belle’s sleeping, not feeling well, but come in anyway.” She stepped aside. I walked in, it was a bit awkward coming inside her home when the reason I was here wasn’t even awake.
    “Come, I’ve got to tell you something that she wont.” We sat at the kitchen table. She sighed slowly, looking me in the eyes. “She doesn’t tell people, because they treat her differently after. When really, you have to. But...See for yourself. I trust you enough with this.” She slid a book across the table to me. I carefully picked it up, looking at Rosabella’s mom once more. She nodded, and I flipped through the pages, reading random passages.

    “Kathy thinks I’m too delicate now to do anything. I hate her I hate her! I’m fine, just the way I am. I don’t need special treatment!”

    “I don’t need friends. I’m strong enough. Death isn’t that hard to face alone.”

    “I lied, please, whoever I’m supposed to be talking to in this dumb book, give me SOMEBODY. Anybody. Please. I need a friend I just need someone.”

    “There’s a new boy next door. He’s kinda cute. Maybe him?”

    “His name is Greyson! Boy is he talented too! I want so badly for him to be the one you’ve sent me. Is he?”

    “I almost told him today. I almost told him I’ve got cancer. I’m so stupid, why would I do that? He’ll treat me the same as every one else does. Like a baby.”

    “Doesn’t matter I guess. I hate keeping this from him, it feels so wrong but I just don’t want him to know. Although I do, awfully bad. I need someone to tell me its ok, and mean it.”

    I flipped to last nights entry.

    “He kissed me. He really kissed me. I don’t know how to describe it, Liz (That is what Im going to call you now, ok?). It was better than I thought it would be. Thank You for sending me him. At least I’ll get a few smiles in before I go...”

    I stared at the book for a minute. Processing what I read.
    “Rosabella...she has...cancer?” I asked.
    Her mother’s eyes were watering, I on the other hand, was already crying.
    “I’m afraid so. Thats why we’re going to texas, so she can get tested again. Hopefully things are better this time, but we wont know for sure until then.”
    I slowly stood up. “Could you..tell Rosabella that I stopped by? Just tell her to come by my place if she’s up for it. I need a minute.”
    “I understand. I’ll be sure to tell her. I’ve got to wake her up soon anyway...”
    I turned to leave, when she called my name lightly.
    “And Greyson?”
    “Yeah?”
    “Don’t tell her I told you. Act like you don’t know. I think its best that way...for now, anyway.”
    “Will do.” I nodded slowly. Leaving, running back to lock myself up into my room. Not wanting to believe anything, or speak to anyone about it.