Time Will Tell part 9

Start from the beginning

Libby unpacked and organized her belongings. A satisfied grin took hold as she noted her progress. She quickly locked up with just enough time to meet Dave, who emerged from his car when she pulled into the space next to him. Libby quickly climbed out and gave him a welcoming hug. “You don’t know how much your help means to me.”

“Yeah, well you got through to me,” Dave answered after giving her a quick peck on the cheek. “Maybe I have been a little self-absorbed.”

“Just a little?” Libby teased.

“No gloating allowed. Let’s get busy. We have a lot to talk about.”

“Sorry. I couldn’t help it. I really do appreciate your being here. I’m all packed.” She tried not to think about how her life fit into a few boxes. Dave had a huge house in one of the nicest subdivisions in the area. Libby had been ambivalent about moving there after their wedding. Now she realized why. It wasn’t hers and she’d always felt intimidated when spending time there. That would have to change. “After loading the rest of the stuff, we need to clean.”

Dave raised his eyebrows. She laughed and socked his shoulder playfully, loving the reappearance of the man she fell in love with present in his grin. “It shouldn’t take too long. I’m not a slob and there’s not much to do. I need to make sure it looks good to get my deposit back. If you start on the boxes, I’ll start cleaning.”

“Lead the way.” Dave followed her up the walkway. “I’m your most humble servant.”

Libby unlocked the door and they went inside. She had stacked all the boxes to the side of her living room.

Nodding, Dave took note of them. “This shouldn’t take more than an hour. That’ll give us more time to talk. I realize I’ve made a mess of things.”

He made quick work of the boxes. “So, what do you want me to do now,” he asked, coming into the kitchen.

She directed him to the bathroom and handed him a bucket of supplies. “When you’re done in there and I’m done in the kitchen, we’ll be ready to go.”

Earlier she’d set the self-cleaning oven. Her only task left was wiping out the ashes at the bottom of the oven, which didn’t take long. She rinsed off her hands and went in to fetch Dave.

Soon Libby was driving out to the farm with Dave following, because he’d never been there before. When Libby zipped past the two trees and nothing happened, she heaved a sigh of relief and wove her way around to the cabin. Dave unloaded the boxes and Libby unpacked them.

“Whew! That didn’t take as much time as I thought.” Libby put her mom’s picture on the end table and wiped the dust off her jeans. She turned to Dave, who had his attention on the scene outside her window. “Thanks to you.” She grazed her bottom lip between her teeth, then pushed a strand of hair behind her ear, and hesitated. “You wanted to talk?”

“Yes.” He turned away from the window, ran a hand through his hair, and rested it on the back of his neck. “I’ve thought about everything you said. I want to understand you. I had no idea you felt this way.” He caught Libby’s gaze. “What’s going on?”

Libby shrugged. “I’ve changed jobs and I need your support in my decisions.”

Dave released her gaze and shook his head, rubbing his neck. “What about us?”

She threw up her hands in exasperation. “This has nothing to do with us. It’s about me.”

“Did you take our upcoming wedding or my feelings into account when you considered your change?”

Libby noted a hint of hurt in his voice. “I shouldn’t have to for something that’s this important to me.” Damn it all. She shouldn’t have to defend herself either.