Chapter 1 - Melody

Start from the beginning

When the music stopped playing his strong arms gently put her on the floor again.

Melody kept her eyes closed. She was not ready to let the moment go. She was not ready to accept that it was over already.

"What is he doing with her?"

Melody opened her eyes and she noticed how everyone was staring at them.

"Who is he?" Some girls were leaning towards their best friends. Normally they would have tried to whisper soft enough for Melody not to hear it, but they were too drunk to recognize a normal speaking volume.

"She can't even walk, let alone dance..."

Melody licked her lips and she bent her head. She realized that her hands were resting on his chest, but he didn't seem to mind. "You're doing this because you pity me, right?" The smile on her face disappeared and Melody looked up again.

The man frowned his eyes and shook his head. "I just wanted to see you smile..." He almost stumbled over his own words, but his arms didn't let her go.

"Well, you saw me smile. Yay for you. You've got your points for charity today."

"Hey..." He placed his hand on her cheek and he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, but the whispers around her didn't disappear.

"Look at her, she thinks he really means this..." Someone giggled and Melody felt her breathing fastening.

"Thanks for the dance..." Melody wanted to free herself from his embrace, but he didn't let her go. "I think I'm gonna go home now."

"You don't wanna share another dance?" The young man raised his eyebrows, but Melody shook her head.

"No, I'm tired and my foot hurts and everyone knows I'm a horrible dancer, so..." She bit her lip and avoided his glance. "And I barely know you and you barely know me and I think you don't really want to get to know me."

"Daniel Lionheart."

Melody looked up and she cocked her head.

"I'm Daniel Lionheart. I'm new in town." He paused for a moment, but Melody didn't say anything. Did he really think that telling her his name would change anything? That all of a sudden he wouldn't be a stranger anymore because she knew his name? "And now you're supposed to tell me your name."

Melody felt a little caught of guard, but eventually she stuttered her name. "Melody. Melody Waters."

"It's nice to meet you, Melody." He placed his hands in her armpits and lifted her up again. While he made his way through the crowd, back to her chair and her crutch, everyone kept on staring at them.

"It's nice to meet you too..." She swallowed when he put her down again. "But if you're new in town, you should probably know that hanging out with me is not really gonna help your reputation."

"I don't mind." Daniel grabbed her hand and pressed a soft kiss on her knuckles.

Melody felt her cheeks blushing and she pulled her hand away again. "Everybody minds." She closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths. "But..." When she opened her eyes again he was gone.

The people on the dance floor were dancing as if nothing had happened. The music was playing again. No one stared at her. No one noticed her. No one seemed to realize that she was still there, that she had not left yet.

Great, now she had started to hallucinate too. Melody grabbed her crutch and she leaned on it while she made her way to the garderobe to get her jacket.

It seemed to take hours before someone was ready to help her out. "You're the first to leave."

Melody stared at the clock. It was way past midnight. To her that seemed more than late enough. "Not everyone can skip sleep." Melody pulled her jacket almost out of the woman's hands and she turned around while she put it on.

"I thought you liked the party, Melody?" Aya grabbed Melody's wrist and forced Melody to stand still again.

"I'm sorry. I had a lot of fun, but I'm getting tired and my pain is getting worse, so..." Melody realized that she was ruining her chance of ever being asked for a party again. After all, she was nothing but the boring girl that was always in pain and preferred staying home over hanging out with her friends.

"Fine, see you at school." Aya rolled her eyes and walked away. It was clear she didn't really care if Melody would stay or leave.

Melody opened the door and the cold air and empty streets made her feel lonely already. While she walked towards her bicycle, the ticking of her crutch was the only sound echoing around her. The little fall of rain was washing away the memories of those few minutes of happiness she had experienced. Well, the few minutes of happiness she had imagined.

As if a guy like Daniel would ever pick someone like her to dance with while he could get literally every other girl at this party.

Well, at least she had to compliment her brain with it's taste. She just should have known that a guy like that talking to her was too good to be true.